planer board set up

emptynet

when setting up for planer board use is there a general preferred height for the mast or can you pretty much just run the boards out the side. I would think that if there was some height to the mast the release would slide down better. I have a couple of downriggers that have 6ft booms, I was thinking I could run them off the sides in the front for the boards,I just wasn't sure if that would be high enough. any thought or opinions would be great. also if any has made there own, a picture would be good to so I could get some ideas. .... Thanks

I dont know if you have a hard top or not but i mounted my planner board masts on top of it on 2' metal poles with the pully on top of them. It keeps the planner line high up in the air and the releases fall down good. If you can mount the mast as far in front of the boat as you can and high as you can.

Pat

hight is good for keeping the line and releases outa the water which is a good thing specially when ya got weeds and crap on the surface the angle (back) of the line and the drag of the lure will pull the release away from the boat dont reply to (2 rods) from rochester hell have you on lakers faster than beagle on a rabbit.......mine are 8 ft above water but 5 or 6 will work unless you want to run your boards out more than 75 ft