pumping gas...

I was trying to fill my tank the other day...it was at half full. I got about 15 gallons in and the gas would overflow. I'd stop and the gas would go down and I could pump for another 30 seconds or so untill it would do this again. Needless to say it took forever to get the tank just over 3/4 full. I couldn't see a screen in the gas inlet and the vent seemed to be venting on the side. Anyone ever run into this and what can I do to correct it. Nothing like being at the gas pump over 30 min at 4 am...bad enough its about $3.95 a gallon :@

Thanks guys, Scott

Check the routing of your vent hose, from just below your fill to the top of tank. If the vent hose sags below tank at any point when your running gas will fill the sag area, then get pushed out the top of vent when your filling. If you find this to be true, tie up the sag area(s), without pinching the hose, and see if that doesn't help. If it's overflowing main fill, it's gotta be either an obstruction, incorrect fuel gauge reading, to much volume from the pump, or the positioning of the boat at that pump.( sloping grade) Only things I can think of, the vent issues was my problem at one time as well.. Oh, fill at the end of the fishing day so your not at the pump at 4a..... :lol:

Hahaha I hear ya about filling at the end of the day! 4 am was awful. It was my 1st time out for the year and couldn't get to the station the night before. I know the guage works, and the boat was level at the pump...had that problem last year :D I'll have to see where I can get to the vent hose, everything in the boat isn't very accessable...hard to even run the wires for my finder and fishhawk. Thanks for the Info RYE!!

If you can see the top of your tank(s) most generally it's right after the vent hose leaves the top of the tank, before it makes it's way up towards the fill spout.