DEC Proposing Changes to Fishing Regs - Comments due 4/2/12

In a press release, dated February 16, 2012 NYSDEC announced proposed changes to various sections of their freshwater fishing regulations. Here is a link to the press release which will provide a summary of the proposed regulations as well as information on how to comment: http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/80412.html

The changes being proposed cover: walleye, black bass, trout and salmon, pickerel, muskellunge and tiger muskellunge, ice fishing and baitfish, and gear and angling methods.

It is always helpful to send supporting comments if you agree with their changes. For example they are proposing to change the minimum length for salmonids in the Upper Niagara River to "any size" because the current 12-inch minimum length is no longer necessary and this will also eliminate the need for special tributary regulations. This seems like a good change to me.

On the other hand, they are also proposing to "Reduce the limit of rainbow trout from five to one in the western Finger Lakes and three to one in the tributaries to provide further protection for this species. Western Finger Lakes include Seneca, Keuka, Canandaigua, Canadice, and Hemlock Lakes." Is it reasonable to go from 5 to 1 in the Lakes and 3 to 1 in the tributaries? If not, you can maybe help to make the regulations better by saying why you disagree and give them alternate suggestions.

Also, if you can submit comments as a Charter Captain's association or fishing club such as LOTSA or FLTA, that helps since you're representing a larger number of people.

Comments will be accepted through April 2, 2012. These regulations, if adopted as proposed with no subsequent changes, will be in effect for the 2012-2013 license year, which begins on October 1, 2012. If there is anything you think I can do to help, please let me know. I would be happy to prepare comments for your group of your association if you would find that helpful.

~ Michele

Captain's Cove Resort

585-682-3316

[email protected]