Canandaigua 3/22

Went out last Thurs as more of a test-n-tune but it worked out well. Boat and gear worked and we caught a total of 10 trout. We had 9 lakers and one nice brown. Let most go, kept a few for the Friday fish fry.

Had most luck on East side in 170 FOW fishing around 140 down. Nothing off the dispey all day. Nothing off top lures. Had most luck on Seth and Rigger set low. Copper and some colored up suttons worked but nothing with the true silver without markup. I still have yet to ever catch a fish off a fly on Canandaigua :) I must be doing something wrong..

Hope everyone had a good winter and let's get out there again. Can't wait for this weather to get warm again...

I'm with ya on the fly thing on Canandaigua! Can't seem to find the right combo. I have a pontoon also and fish mostly the north end. I plan to try the Dipsey wire setup this year. I hope to get in next weekend and get started!

good fly leader length is 18"-22" from attractor. Green fly with green spin dr or a mirage fly with white attractor, 5'- 18' off the ball or off your dipsy, maybe speed up too if you are used to pulling seth green rig that is usually trolled slower. How do you have dipsy rod holder rigged on pontoon? If you don't have a sturdy set up you might lose a rod when you pick up the speed. Good luck and see ya out there soon.

Right now I am using plastic (I know, I know) rail mount rod holders. I have a small chain which I put either around or clip right to the reel just in case. The Seth has a lot of drag and will some day snap the plastic rod holder. Same for the dipsey. I mount the dipsey on the side rail of the pontoon - Seth off one back corner and rigger of the other back corner.

I think what I'm going to do this year is make up a 2x8 or 2x10 board to go across the back - double it with a 2x4 betwen two of the planks and mount sched 40 pvc rod holders. This way I can mount all of my fishing gear once rather then individually each time I need to go out.

Any ideas are welcomed. Some day I want to get a straight up fishing boat, something simple like a center console where I can fish and simply put away with out worrying about all the blood and such on the carpets.

I special ordered my pontoon with vinyl flooring in the back so I don't have to worry about the blood thing. The rest is carpeted. I mounted a couple cannon electrics on the back on seat pedestals. They work great and I think the rod holders will be ok for dipseys and wire.

A question on the wire - what make and size sleeves would I need for the wire to mono leader connection? I assume you'd use the same sleeves for a lead core line to mono leader connection?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks for the info on the fly setup!

Fbog,

You don't need sleeves to attatch your wire to leaders. You can use a wire knot directly to the swivel that your going to attatch to your dipsey. This is the method we use on Canandaigua and as FLX said, green on green works pretty good for us. We generally get more on wire dipseys than we do on riggers right through August. Fish are a little deep right now so we are running FF combos on the riggers. I use an albright knot to attatch my wire to backing.

I n Canandaigua, I was using a fly rod drifting with a 9wt. and an integrated sinking line (300gr) with a shiner looking Peglusie fly and had a laker follow the streamer up to the transom of the boat and it spooked when a wave hit the transom. I have been giging large 5" spoons at the drop offs with my spinning rod and go a couple of nice browns about 5lbs. on the retrieve!

Paul,

I checked out your website. Very nice. Thanks for the wire connection info. I'm at Seager's also. Surprised I haven't seen you! I'm on the stationary dock on the left side headed out, almost across from Bill Reeser (Happy Hooker). I hope to be in very soon and get the year started.

Again - thanks to you and FLX for the info!

I am just up from you on number five this year. Feel free to stop by and I would be more than happy to show you what I'm running. I will be out next Saturday as Avon anglers will be running one of their tournaments. Canandaigua fishes a little different than the other fingers in the spring but ff combos can be very productive if used right. Speed and depth are the two big factors right now. We got our limit the last three times out in less than an hour.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Sounds like a great start to the new year! I'll keep my eye out for you and good luck in the tournament! Thanks for the offer. Canandaigua can be a little tougher than the other lakes. I spent a lot of time on Owasco and always did quite well, but things are a bit different on Cdga!