Canandaigua April 7th

Hi guys,

Going to head out there tomorrow morning. Will be fishing the south end. So this is my first spring trolling and I just picked up a cannon reversable planer. Not ever using one before, wonder what to run off of it. My understanding is the planer gets the lines away from the boat to get more lines in the water and perhaps for fish which get spooked. Also, they will get the lines in shallow water while the boat can remain in a little deeper water for the early spring fish (browns and bows I believe) which are coming out of the tributaries.

This being the case, what are some good tips for planers? I was thinking maybe up to two lines on the planer. Maybe a wire with a diver and a flat liner? Few weeks ago, all my catches were in deep water and deep depth but then again, they were all lakers. Would be nice to get a bow or brownie.

FLXT - going to try the dodger and flies again. I will be sure to tell you if I catch anything. I thought someone jinxed them as I still havne't caught anything off them to date but will try different speeds. I typically try for around 1.7 - 1.9. Maybe I should try a fly off the dipsey and planer and another on the rigger just to cover both.

I got Laurvick releases thinking it would be nice to simply keep the board in during a release and just slide another line and release down again. We'll see how this works in use though. I also read to keep the outer line on top if running multiple off the planer. So I assume you let a few hundred feet of line out, attach to release, let it slide out and then set the drag? I think :) ??

Appreciate any tips for the first time using planers.

Hope to see a few guys out fishing. Was hoping for warmer weather but I'll take mid 50's if we can get it.

I've never launched at the woodville location - do you think I'll be OK in terms of room and capacity if the Avon Anglers are there? Not sure if the parking lot is large enough.

Are they charging at this time of year yet? I have a passport from last year but I'll have to look on-line to see the dates it's good for.

You dont pay at the South end. You must be going to run boards off a mast in that case run flatlines put them 150 back. Put line in your release then you slide that down your board line. Then the next flat line would be out 150 do same thing for all of them. That way when outside rig goes off you just let your inside board line out, and it becomes your outside line. If you start running diff riggs and lengths off the same side you get into trouble. You can do it but I wouldn't your first time. If you run inline boards you can run what you want.

The planer board (only purchased one) worked great but didn't catch any fish :( I don't have a mast yet, but do need to build something as I can tell by getting the line up higher it would work better. I tied off the line to the rail on the boat and it worked OK but again, would work better being up higher I bet. Tried everything on the planer. Spoons, dodger and fly, stick baits, nothing.

We did end up with 3 lakers way down around 120 over 120-140. All right on the bottom. Picked up nice brown around 40 down over 120. Most of our action was suprisingly on the west side this time. We fished the south end the entire time.

Have to watch the south end launch at the end of the launch. I must have bottomed the trailer out and not known it. When I was doing a light check to leave for home, realized the license plate holder and left signal were smashed. Luckily I had extra bulbs but I'm not sure what happened, I may have had to go a little deep to get my boat in and hit mud which knocked the light off. The launch is alright but for my rig, I'm going to have to split the truck and trailer. A quad cab with a 24 pontoon takes up just about the entire width of the lot.

Catches were all on spoons. Suttons were hot along with green. Tried up higher a bit for a while to get some bows or browns but nothing. Might try Saturday again if I can get the time out. I'm dying to catch a fish on these darn flies :)