Canandaigua Advice

Hello.

I am relatively new to fishing for coldwater species such as trout and salmon. I have been out a few times on Lake Ontario for browns this spring, but it seems like the weather has not been cooperating and everytime I can get out to fish, there is a stiff wind out of the North and renders my boat useless on that body of water.

That leads me to what I need help with. I want to spend some time trying my luck on some of the Finger Lakes such as Canandaigua, Seneca, or Cayuga for any trout/salmon that I can get to right now. I am working on getting downrigger and Dipsy setups for getting deeper, but in the mean-time, are there some areas on any of the lakes I described where some top-water (top 30 FOW) trolling could be worth my while? I ask because most of the reports I read are indicating fish are deeper than that, which I couldn't access at this point without the riggers or dipsies ready to go.

Any advice on where to start with this would be greatly appreciated! I live in the Rochester area, so preference would be the north ends of the lakes I described, but really looking for any suggestions.

Thanks a lot!

Canandaigua Lake boat launch at the north end is closed, the Onanda Park access launch ended April 15, so you have to go the the south end. Try your brown program on Canandaigua right near the drop off, as you leave launch area head north until you see the drop off on your sonar. Set planer boards and stickbaits with natural colors