cut bait???? how?? please help

how do i go about this hole drifting cut bait. i hear guys always drop the words " drift cut bait" i realy want to try it. i have acquired 2 out rigger rods like 12ft long but i have no idea what to do with them out side of putting them on the boat to look cool,lol. but realy past that i kow nothing. i hope for some tips from start to fish on.. i kind of hope that its a day useing my boat as a bobber please tell me how wrong i am

Most of the guys here that use cut bait are Trolling, if they are actually talking about drifting they could be confusing "mooching" with drifting.

Mooching is a west coast tactic, not very popular on the great lakes but does work.

Do a search for Mooching and you will see that it is simply lowering a trolling weight and leader with a double hook rig to the target depth where the fish are and slowly moving your boat around.

Cut bait trolling usually involves a rotator head on the great lakes, you use a tooth pick to anchor the cut bait strip into the head then a 3-4' leader to an attractor or flasher. They can be trolled deep on any rig that you normally would run for salmon trolling.

If you are interested in drift fishing for salmon you might be better off speed jigging.

again do a search, try "speed jigging brown trout" or jigging great lakes salmon.

I know there is a video out there of those.

j

• 2 weeks later...

If you try drifting or mooching let us know how you make out! You could always run a copper rod off your outriggers with cut bait, twinkies, and a flasher while trolling.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png