Mallory System update.

Hey guys, installed the new MAllor YLM624AV breakerless ignition yesterday. I was running a coil that was on the previous system. Mercruiser ending with *A07. This one is not correct. Mallory states the sytem can be ran with previous ignition coil. Not true. The coil went really hot really fast. They call for 1.4 ohms primary for the coil, and I had it. So why was I over heating the coil? I called mallory, he pretty much told me to shove it because I was not using a mallory coil. I in turn contacted Krenzer Marine and spoke with there guys. GREAT HELP THEY WERE! FANTASTIC. I bought my boat there and I still get service.. Great guys I will do business with boat shopping needs in the future.. They too were on this issue recently burning up coils that came with the kit. They installed a merc cruiser coil that ends in *T24. I will post all the full number when I bring the boxes home from the lake. Anyways, the number Krenzer gave me superceeded to a number that NApa had in stock. I got this unit, however this unit required an external ballast resistor. I installed the new unit and installed a ballast resistor of 1.35 ohms. The engine fired right up. I ran her at the dock for 15 minutes, with the coil not getting hot, I took her out on the lake and the boat ran like a champ. I saw better top end perfromance and a faster acceleration. The boat ran smoother on high RPMs than it did before. The engine was also leaving a rainbow effect in the water from the unit not burning the plugs hot enough, with the new coil, the rainbow effect stopped. :yes:

I might be a diesel engine technician but I HATE I MEAN HATE GASOLINE ENGINES with a passion!

If anyone ever simply wants to update their ignition this system is great, just remember to make sure you use the right coils. The ones mallory offers according to Krenzers, failed twice in a row.

Nick