i-bay bridge proposals

bbolger

This is some thing you should all be aware of!

Please attend the meeting if you can to voice your opinion. If you can't make the meeting write to Assemblyman Koon and follow up with a call to his office!

koond@ assembly.state.ny.us

OFFICE ADDRESSES

DISTRICT OFFICE

268 Fairport Village Landing

Fairport, NY 14450

585-223-9130 ALBANY OFFICE

LOB 643

Albany, NY 12248

518-455-5784

http://assembly.state.ny.us/member_files/135/20071010/

From the folks at Mayer's Marina:

October 17, 2007

"Dear Dock Customer,

We are writing to let you know about an important meeting next week that could affect the way we all boat. Assemblyman David Koon is holding a

public forum at 7 p.m. Oct. 25 at Spry Middle School Auditorium, 199 South Ave., Webster, to discuss the future of the Irondequoit Bay Bridge. He is looking for input regarding keeping the bridge closed to boaters and open to autos for even more moths, and he is looking into the possibility of opening and closing the swing bridge year-round so that cars would be able to cross year-round.

We at Mayer's are opposed to both ideas:

Keeping the bridge closed to boats April or October (it's already closed Nov. 1 to March 31) will restrict boating traffic. In April, boaaters who like to fish and charter boats, which make a living from fishing, will not have access to Lake Ontario. We do have enthusiastic anglers and charter captains who launch their vessels in early April to take advantage of the fishing seasons."

Note: This brings in tourism dollars due to the quality of the early spring fishing in this area.

"Likewise , if the bridge were closed in October, a great many boaters would be restricted from using the lake during what generally can be good boating weather - witness our wonderful warm weather in September and October.

Finding a way to open and close the swing bridge year-round is an equally onerous idea. If the bridge is allowed to close periodically for car traffic, it will create a nightmare for boaters trying to get through the channel. Vessels will be backed up into the lake and the bay, causing dangerous conditions. Likewise, keeping motorists waiting for the bridge will cause backups on Lake Road and on the Irondequoit side to the point that homeowners will not be able to get out of their driveways and customers will be blocked from the parking lots of businesses - including ours."

Note: this is true, as well, of the heavily used county launch on the west side which already is often congested without the addition of traffic waiting for the bridge. Seems this propsal might need an impact study done!

"This bridge, whose design has already narroed the outlet channel by 150 feet, was a compromise reached by the county when enough funding could not be found for a high overhead bridge, a lift bridge or tunnel. It was to be open to car traffic in winter months when motorists are most afraid to traverse the 104 bridge because of ice and snow. By April and in October and even November, there is little chance of dangerous driving weather. This is merely a way for motorist to have a quicker, easier shortcut for a longer period of time. We understand the wants of drivers, but we feel the needs of the boating public should come first because this outlet is the only way out of the bay to Lake Ontario. Motorists have several othe options for travel.

We hope you will consider attending and speaking at this important meeting. A copy of this notice is on the back of the letter. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Bill mayer, Allison Mayer, and Al Jaehn"

[/b]

Assemblyman Koon,

I am writing to you as I will be unable to make the public meeting on the Bay Bridge due to a soccer coaching meeting I have to go to that evening.

As a boater and someone who enjoys fishing in Lake Ontario I am opposed to the bridge being open ( and the channel closed)from April 1 - November 1. This is the only access we and my fellow boaters have to the lake from the bay. I would like to continue to keep my boat in the Bay and visit the restaurants in that area of your district after or during a day on the lake! If this bridge were to open even temporarily I will most likey move my boat (and money -docking fees, grocery and resaturant) to the river or more likely Sandy Creek.

To have the bridge open to automotive traffic during those months will create unsafe backups on both the land and the water in an area that is already congested much of that time period with auto, boat and pedestrian traffic.

Thank you for your time and your hard work for this area!

Bruce Bolger and family