Okuma Coldwater

So I bought a Coldwater reel last yr for my son and since day one the drag sucked. Too tight too light and so on. So after loosing a nice fish because I couldn't back off the drag fast enough it has sat in my garage as a total loss. So rained out of work today I called Okuma to see if my reel had the recall issue (which I assumed did). Apparently if you have a capital A or three punch marks after serial number you don't have a defected reel. So I asked the guy politely "so the reel sucks as expected". He was a real nice guy and after a short conversation he explained how there drag works on Coldwater only. when you adjust the drag the reel it doesn't react until three to five revolutions on the handle. So once you send it out if your drag is two heavy back it off three clicks or so on the drag. Turn the handle three to five times then check to see if you like the drag. Hope this helps somebody. I had basically gave up on mine but after playing with out in my garage I definitely feel good about it now. In the middle of a battle its not the best process but better than throwing it away.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app