Cayuga Lake 7/20

We fished Cayuga this morning. The south wind had a good chop on the water. Fish are spread out. No one hot spot really. Running just 6 rods, 4 downriggers and to magnum Dipseys. We boated 23 fish, mostly just legal that went back in. Lakers and little Land Locks and one Rainbow. Kept 7 Lake trout in the 3 to 5 lb class.

The hot lures were small black NK spoons with red or purple tape and a chrome back. Downriggers were 40 to 75 ft. Dipseys back 200 ft. All caught several fish each.

We picked up a few fleas but not a big problem yet. Weeds were more of a problem on the West side as expected.

Our other observation was we marked a ton of bait schools. The thermalcline is really set up in some areas, especially out in deep water. It breaks from 71 down to about 57 dgrees. Up north it was up to 62 dgrees at 60' over 165' bottom.

Glad to hear/see that someone is catching fish in Cayuga.  I really enjoy running leadcore but the past two years have found it NOT to be very productive.  I would appreciate any comments on the use of leadcore . Have never had much luck with downrigging either , but I'm probably NOT doing something right there either.  Yes...I'm a seasoned fisherman but a novice Lake Inhabiting Troutwaters/trolling4fishoffaboat...type'o'guy!  :thinking:    Thank you very much :)

I have found that lead cores have good days and slow days on Cayuga. Dipsys size number one or magnums with a 8' to 15' lead with a spin doctor and fly produces many fish... speed is key somedays they like it faster up to 3.2 sometimes varying speeds is key. If I run two lead cores off inline boards I try two different leader lengths, also do small S turns. Another secret I do on Cayuga is to run only one ff set up on my downrigger the other rigger is always a spoon just above but a bit further back from ball... hopes this helps!

Also do not be afraid to run an all white smaller spoon (dirty white boy) on your cores bows love em!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Something to consider is booking a Charter and seeing how it's done. Of course even us charter Captains each have our own way of doing set ups.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Lake Ontario United mobile app