Crusader 260 oil spec

lakebound88

Just curious what the guys on here are running in their crusader 454's for oil. The prior maintenance records show the marina using a 15w40 shell oil.

I may just run straight 40 shell.

Anyone have a preference for this motor. I will add the zinc additive regardless.

Nick

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What year is the power plant, and what type of cam & lifters is it a flat tappet or roller, I switched my heads from flat tapped to the new roller design, the newer design required faster oil lubrication to the top of the motor so I run Shell Rotella multi viscosity 5w-40 but my older motor before I rebuilt it I ran straight 40. It made a world of difference while trolling with the main, my oil pressure used to drop down to scary #'s then I went to strait 40 in the Shell Rotella and that kept my pressure at 25 at trolling speed which was like 650-800 rpm. I decided to add a kicker to reduce the wear and tear on the main. The reason I use the Shell Rotella is my father-in-law has tri axel trucks and they have Volvo Engines in them, the one truck had a issue that the pan needed to be dropped at that time they pulled a rod cap to inspect the bearings and they were like new the mechanic said they can't put better ones in and that truck had 650,000 miles on it, I believe that these marine engines really take a beating even if you take care of it, they have to work hard and the environment they are in doesn't doesn't help matters either.

Is it a 260 or a 454? Crusader 454's are generally 350's.

I've run straight 40 weight for 31 years with never an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United[/quote

The 260 is the horsepower rating of the 350ci with a four barrel carb my 350 was rated at 230hp because it had a 2 barrel Holley that flowed 390cfm. Different 4 barrel carbs flow different cfm's and create different horsepower, Rochester vs. Holley. The 454cu. Horsepower ratings for a Mercruiser was 330hp in the early years because they rated the HP. at the crank, later they were rated 310 because they rated the HP. at the prop.. The manual reads I'm supposed to use Strait SAE30 so strait 40 would be fine as you have the proof 31 years with no issue's is as good as it gets!!!

Yes Shell Rotella makes a strait 40 weight, it's T1SAE40 tractor supply has it. She'll Rotella caters to the industrial field, a lot of the older farm tractors used this oil and heavy equipment.

Thanks for the illustrious explanation Pap. I knew the crusader rating was based on horsepower as mine are 350's. I just had never heard of a 454 with a crusader 260 designation before.

I'm always looking for better oil and my inlaws run several big farms in the southern tier and they run rotella but in all their diesels. I will find some for my 454's.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks guys, paul. The hp is 350 hp on these motors, the model is a crusader 260. As mentioned above. I'm almost 100 percent that's what it says in the book and manual. I could be wrong. I deal with diesels day in and day out. I wish I had some.

I'll be hitting up tractor supply if I can't get a better price straight from our Rotella dealer here in Elmira.

Nick

Nick I went to Brad Penn racing oil in my 454's strictly because it has the zinc in it already. It's a blend of Dino and Synthetic and obviously a product of PA. Valvoline racing oil also has zinc.  I have been running 15w-40 in the cold weather and 20w-50 in the hot weather. Seems to hold up very well. Does anyone know if the Rotella(which is much cheaper) has adequate Zinc in it? The zinc is important for the cams.

I too, am puzzled by the 260 designation. 260's are small blocks, 350 cu in. 

Edited by Capt Vince Pierleoni

The zinc compound abbreviated ZDDP, is an extreme pressure additive that helps keep flat tappet camshafts from wearing out. In 2007 all gasoline oils went from the old SL spec to the new "emissions" SM formula. Anyway this was done because it was found that the anti- wear additives caused problems with the catalytic converters. Diesel oil has had more anti-wear compounds than gas oils. The old pre-emissions oils had a CI-4 rating. The new stuff has a CJ-4 rating. The CI-4 is the stuff to use in flat tappet engines, these oils have the zinc already added. As far as additives, EOS and ever other "street" oil supplement containing large amounts of zinc and phosphorus compound have been DISCONTINUED. If you want these additives, you've got to turn to the race shops. Comp Cams sells a very popular additive its part number 159. Crane Cams also offers their additive. Shell Rotella 30w-40w still is CI-4 about a month ago I saw Shell Rotella CI-4 15w-40 in 2.5 gallon jugs at Tractor supply. If you have a flat tappet engine, use diesel oil and try to use the CI-4 stuff as this has the zinc added right in. There are folks who are extremely set in their beliefs about what they've been told or read, regarding high zinc oils providing excellent wear protection. But the truth is, like all things in life, motor oils are NOT all created equal, some are simply better than others, no matter what their zinc levels are. Anyone would have to be delusional to think otherwise. Here is a list where the oil was tested in psi before it broke down and a list off the additives I will give the Shell Rotella and the Brads Penn Racing oils

Shell Rotella = 72,022 psi

Zinc =1454 ppm

Phos = 1234 ppm

ZDDP = 1200 ppm

Brad Penn (semi- synthetic) 10w30 = 71,206

Zinc = 1557 ppm

Phos = 1651

ZDDP = 1500

Keep in mind for comparison with the oils above that the oil industry has found that above 1,400 ppm,ZDDP INCREASED long term wear, and it was also found that ZDDP above 2,000 ppm, started attacking the grain boundaries in the iron, resulting in camshaft spalling. So no matter what zinc fans might "believe", there is such a thing as "to much of a good thing"!!!! I hope this helps you? The shell Rotella is so close it hurts and it's like $14.99 a gallon at our local store. Pap

Edited by pap

Thanks pap. I have my insight into the diesel world an oils as mentioned before. I can rebuild anything but the long term effect is where I wanna be. The safest form of lubrication I bc an do for these motors the better.

Vince I may be wrong on the 260 description, but I feel like it's what's marked there and in my manual. I'm going off the top of my head. Of course the one picture I have doesn't show it clearly. ....

post-145590-14298677554012_thumb.jpg

The 5 weight in 5W40 oil is to quickly lubricate the engine on cold weather start up. It prevents cylinder scuffing rather than the cold slow flowing straight 40 weight reaches the internal engine parts.

When I worked in the engine crew on Tug Boats we would use straight 50 weight mineral oil for the main engine but before starting we would prelube the engine with a manual pump before cranking the engine over. The engine on the tug LT5 now in Oswego is 72 tears old now.

Edited by jimski2

• 2 weeks later...

Good call earlier, tractor supply was 10 bucks cheaper than direct supplier costs and even auto parts store for the rotella. :thumbs up:

Edited by lakebound88