Charter Capt Does All The Fishing?

I don’t go on anybody’s boat, buddies, charter or family without discussing what I am and they are comfortable with me doing before I touch a thing. I let people on my boat know what I expect. Most part I let people do everything they are willing too, if I know they can handle it or teach them and help them the first few times. Luckily for me most of the guys I get in my boat are more experienced than I am. But for new fishing buddies I teach. We all got to learn. But let’s make that process as cheap as possible from equipment side.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

The reality is, it's not your boat, your gear, your investment. Not that I think my way is the right way, but once I was hooked (first fish) on trolling kings, I knew I had to get my own boat. I didn't want to rely on anyone else and I quickly realized the investment. In my eyes I have a great budget trolling setup, and still can pay the mortgage and feed the kids. If you want to run a program from deploying to netting, save your charter money for your own boat. If you want to pay a charter to get you on fish, play by the capt's rules.

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

When we used to take charters the expectation was never to set or choose the spread. In my eyes it didn't make sense to take part in those activities the experience of the captain in those areas got us on the fish, and gear in the water much faster then we ever could accomplish.

When it came to getting hits and running to the rod hooking a big salmon nothing really compares to the excitement involved with that (as everyone here already knows). Not to mention 4 or 5 buddies laughing and busting balls about a small fish or missing a fish.

I completely understand the captain protecting their investment and now that I own my own boat I know what goes into it.

That being said when we took a charter we wanted to be involved as much as we could be. Some captians allowed more then others but I don't remember a time that we were not accommodated as much as possible.

There were trips in the beginning that guys with us just couldn't get with the program and were rough on the gear. Usually a Bill Dance bass hook set on the wire dipsey rod. We made sure to make up for the lost gear at the end of the trip and those guys quickly were weeded out of the group going on the trips.

Toward the end of our charter days the captians we went with were great about explaining how to set a spread, what to look for on the electronics etc...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 8/21/2018 at 8:52 PM, captlavy said:

2 sides... as a customer I get it but u have to remember the expenses involved by the capt.... and as a capt u have to realize people love hands on. It's a unhappy medium. Personally once I set gear it's up to u to get them in.. all included.... remember 1 gosh darn thing. . U don't listen, miss fish, know it all... yeah u got it. That's 1 less I gotta clean

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was on charter just this past Monday and one of our party just would not listen to the instructions from the captain, who was great by the way. Anyway after dropping about the tenth fish on the second day of our 2 day charter, the 11th was hooked. The fisherman said, "I hope I don't lose this one." The captain said, " Well keep doing what you've been doing and you are gonna'." It was great and we all got a good laugh out of it. The guy finally decided to listen and landed his fish!

I think the typical is that captains do the setup and most net. On the boat I mated on in college, we didn’t touch the rod after we set up- customers set the hook, reeled, etc. if they wanted to net we let them, but with the disclaimer that lost Fish were on them. It varies from boat to boat though. It’s an incredibly specialized way of fishing- the vast majority of our customers had no clue what was going on and were happy to let the crew do all the work.

For what it’s worth, when I go on a charter I generally expect the captain and mate to do all of the rigging. That’s why I’m paying after all- their expertise

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1