Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FishOn!

Charter Capt Does All The Fishing?

Hello Everybody -

I'm new to this forum and to fishing salmon on Lake Ontario.  Used to live in the SF Bay area, fished kings and cohos out of the Golden Gate.  Sold my boat, moved east, and have been missing salmon fishing ever since!

Last week some buddies and I went on a charter out of Oswego.  I was quite surprised to see that the charter captain handled all of the rods, reels, etc. until a fish was hooked and it was time to reel in.  Is this standard around these parts?  We would have liked the opportunity to set the hook and start the process rather than just be handed a rod to crank.  None of us were newbies, all of us have been on multiple charters, party boats, or in my case, on my own boat.  

What is the common practice here?  

Welcome. That is common  among the Charters here but most captains  are happy to let you do the things you mentioned if you tell them you have experience and would like to do so. They just don't want a bunch of noobs breaking their equipment, losing rods, or having a bad hook up percentage and then people saying "eh don't go with that guy we didn't catch any fish"

Edited by FishnChef
  • Like 2

I hear this a lot and all I can say is ask questions prior to booking so the captain knows what type of trip you are interested in. Some people want the work done for them and some want to learn and do it themselves. Every customer is different so if you have individual concerns make sure the captain knows them! Personally, I get all the work I want fishing on my boat and taking my customers so when I pay for a trip I'm there to relax only!

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, FishnChef said:

Welcome. That is common  among the Charters here but most captains  are happy to let you do the things you mentioned if you tell them you have experience and would like to do so. They just don't want a bunch of noobs breaking their equipment, losing rods, or having a bad hook up percentage and then people saying "eh don't go with that guy we didn't catch any fish"

Bingo.

Simple solution is to communicate with the Capt. Lake conditions play a big part in what I can safely allow my clients to do. With three or four different presentations in the water all requiring different techniques to insure a good hook up and landing percentage, on a friendly lake I have the opportunity to explain what needs to be done to get those fish locked up and boxed. On a bumpy lake the last thing I want is for people that are not familiar with my gear to practice with it. Nothing good ever comes of that situation. I'm out there to give the fishermen the trip of their lives and long lasting memory's but also have to protect my investment and reputation. Communication is the key.

• Like 1

Your experience is the norm. Between pulling the rods out of holders and knowing how to reel down fast and set the hook it isn't best for newbies to be hanging the rods out of the holders

As people gave you advise already. Just ask ahead of time

I'm not a charter caps to start with. I had a lot of different people on the boat , experience to newbies and it always gives me an uneasy feeling watching my gear get beat up or loss. And there is no one I let touch my probe rigger.....

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2