The Bar

Maybe someone can clarify something for me. I thought that spring browns are in shallow, & on the fishing report they say that the browns are on the niagara bar. so is the bar out by the red can in 60ft. of water or the green can in 30ft of water? thanks for any help that can be given.

The distance between the green can and the red can is a couple of miles. In between is "the bar" with plenty of shallow water. Browns are caught this time of year trolling the shoreline, drifting the bottom with three-way rigs and minnows, trolling with planers from the mouth out to the red can etc. etc. Plenty of water to cover. If is browns you are after I would stick to shoreline trolling with planers. The mudline along the shore concentrates fish and make them easier to find. Targeting brown off the bar can be a needle in a haystack. Usually, they are caught by accident by fisherman drifting for lakers or King fisherman using stickbaits.

I can only speak from what worked last week......natural colored stickbaits like a goby (brown). Until the emerald shiners come in, which will be the next two weeks, then silvery/minnow looking baits.

Start your search with your boat in 7-10 fow then slide out till you find them.

If you are using big planer boards, or inline planer boards your baits should get out to each side respectively. The shallow side run your smaller lipped baits so not to get hung up, and your deeper side run some of each to cover different depths and leads back. This accompanied by 2 flatlined stickbaits, or spoons should cover the basis depending on how many rods you can run comfortably off your boat.