New to the forum

hydrocynus

Hello all, 

You guys have a great forum and it reminds me of the ole Florida sportsman forum. I joined because of a fly reel add and as you might guess, I am not from Lake Ontario. 

I am French living in Florida since 2001 and flyfished since 1995. I started learning flyfishing because I found myself in a lab in Monaco (I am a marine Scientist) where I met JL Teyssie, a world renown fly tier who introduced me into fly tying and fly fishing. I then fished for trouts and needed new horizons. I continued flyfishing in West Africa for local species there but it still was in FW.

I ended up with a postdoc in Miami where I finally got interested in flyfishing for the big Three: bones (my favorite), permits and tarpons. I nearly exclusively targeted those until I moved to Fort Myers for a University position where I now go mostly for reds and tarpons, sight fishing for them exclusively. 

My particularity is that, besides fishing with guides and having much luck to meet and fish with most of the renown flyfishermen, I flyfish from a kayak that I pole like a flatsboat. I have been very successful (if not more successful than most on a flats boat) with techniques I developed over the years. 

Because of this, I have tested kayaks for companies, as well as help designing and test fly reels (old Florida, Nautilus, TFO, Hayden and Marryatt) and rods (numerous brands). I tie my own flies and have some of my own fly designs including the Frenchie and the Everglades special.  I also build my own rods, developed a couple of knots and leader building formulas. I like collecting unusual or rare reels. I have about 32 reels and about as many as fly rods of various weights.

I feel very blessed to have a wife who supports my hobbies that include fishing but also teaching and  hydro-ecological research (not in that specific ranking/order). I am a family man and father of one who tries to have a small carbon footprint and is about to live his dream with his family: building a 100% sustainable earth dome with enough land to grow crops and livestock. 

Cheers to all and tight lines and loops. 

Welcome hydro,

Today's forecast for Rochester, NY:

--Winter Storm Warning

--30mph winds with up to 40mph gusts

--Blowing and drifting snow--10 to 15 inch accumulation

--visibility about 1/4 mile with occasional whiteouts

--wind chill to 10 degrees below zero

How are things on Estero Island today?

Chas