Jump to content

mikejonestkd

Members
  • Posts

    190
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mikejonestkd

  1. we were new to wire last year and with the great help of board members we got set up with heartland 9'6" dipsy rods and diawa sealine 47lc reels, I ended up getting 7 strand 30# malin line and it has worked very well for us. We will replace the tips with twilli tips when we notice the originals wearing out, which hasn't happened yet. if I get bored I might just install the new tips one of these cold winter nights. Wire was a better producer for us than our riggers last year, by almost a 2 to 1 ratio.
  2. How does the Tekota compare to the Diawa sealine? I am just a recreational fisherman, not abusing my tackle like charter clients do. Other than the $50 difference between the two, would i notice any difference in performance.
  3. The 8" protroll echips and the spin doctors have worked the best for us as well. We also run luhr jensen dodgers, usually plain silver or trash can color. I think they are the 6" size.
  4. We have not run a cheater on the wire dipsy rods but have done ok with a fixed cheater on the power pro dipsy rods in the spring. I have a small swivel in the mail line 15 feet from the end and use a 6' leader to the cheater spoon or plug. I would guess that a rubber band fixed cheater on wire line would be the easiest option.
  5. Billy, She got to pick it out herself and absolutely loves it, Heritage Furniture on Ridge Road in Spencerport hand made it out of solid cherry, in a queen ann style. It is wonderful dining room set but I wonder if it will float and if she will let me mount riggers on it.... I am not allowed in the dining room anymore, she won't let anyone near it... As soon as I win the lottery i am coming for your penn yan....
  6. stinger, we are new to wire recently and the rods have only one full season on them, probably 20 - 30 trips where we used them and probably only 100 hours of actual use. The original heartland tips still look brand new without any nicks or burrs on them yet. As soon as we see the tips getting grooved or cut then we will replace them. I would guess the older members could give more insight on the life expectancy of the original tips.
  7. Santa was good to me this christmas: A new radio for the boat, two new sealine 47 and heartland rigger rods. New fireline for the spining rods and power pro for the other rods. hooks, swivels, and more dipsys... The wife got a new dining room set.....For that money I could have made a nice down payment on Billy V's penn yan...
  8. I have found them at both Dick's and Gander occasionally, Narby's and captain's cove have them too. We bought ones for our wire rods last year but the original tips are still good, we won't put the twilli tips on until the wire eats up the original tips.
  9. We recently got a garmin etrex and realy like it!!! The screen is too small for really mapping your course but it is good for what we need it for - speed and location. The price was right too - around $90.
  10. Any idea when the sportsman show at the Dome in Rochester will be next year?
  11. I tend to agree with the above posts, we run NKs usually because they are a local company, but a few of my stingers do well, particularly at low speeds, probably because they are lighter and thinner. The only really consistent ones that we have found are the green, blue dolphins, the chicken wing and the NBK. I have a kevorkian that has yet to catch anything in 5 years of washing it behind the boat....
  12. Thanks guys for getting the site back up, I really appreciate all that I have learned from others on this board and would not be able to make it through a day at work without checking out the board for new topics. If you find the culprit that hacked the site let me know, I have a team of highly trained attack ninjas that are looking for some action..... Keep up the great work!!!!!!
×
×
  • Create New...