Jump to content

GAMBLER

Professional
  • Posts

    9,909
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by GAMBLER

  1. All the reports I have read state the run is way less than normal on the salmon. When they all run at once, it will give you a nice amount of fish in the river at once. As you know Dave, the runs normally start in August. The DSR reports are dismal except for Columbus Day weekend. Say what you want, fish are missing. The late August run was not there and September was a trickle. Not normal numbers in the river as far as the total run. Look at the big picture not one weekend.
  2. I will start this off by saying I'm not a captain. MOST charter captains will work their butts off to put fish in the boat ALL DAY. There are some that feel ok with putting an couple fish in the boat and setting the cruise control for the rest of the day. Take a trip with a couple different captains and you will see the difference. If the guys work their butts off, I feel they deserve a tip. If they sit back and do nothing, don't tip.
  3. Erie the emeralds are suffering from the reports also.
  4. The guys I know that bass fish the lake are saying the same thing. No small ones. The lake used to be loaded with 10-14" bass. I just find it screwy that the limit has not been reduced seeing that the population is dwindled to nothing.
  5. I just got home from perch fishing and two of the guys you mentioned above told me "no salmon we perch fish". They kept every perch they caught and most were 6-7". It is funny you mention changing the limits. The smallmouth bass population TANKED and we still have a five fish limit on Lake Ontario. This is something else that needs to be addressed.
  6. Ten years ago, Ibay was a perch paradise. The Greece ponds the past couple springs were way slower than normal for spawning run. Sodus has been really slow compared to ten years ago lately too. Yes there are plenty of perch to catch but it's not as easy as it used to be. I'm not saying they are gone, just not the levels they were at a while ago.
  7. Also like Gator stated, I'm glad we can have an adult debate over this. Other sites, people would be banned by now for childish remarks or PM threats.
  8. Davy your comment about the perch population is wrong. You may be able to catch perch by the bucket fulls but the population is down compared to 5-10 years ago. Cormorant predation, over harvest, gobies eating yoy perch and alewives eating newly hatched fry. I spend the entire fall chasing perch and have seen a drastic decline over the last ten years. The runs in the Greece ponds in the spring were way down and Ibay was dead compared to the past.
  9. I don't even think the DEC knows why we have had two years in a row with poor three and four year old year classes. Thiamine deficiency? Poor survival after stocking? Cormorants? If less are surviving, it makes sense to stock more.
  10. Re read my last reply. The winter of 2011-2012 was very warm. The hatch of alewives in 2012 was through the roof. Yes the last two were cold but the population was high. More kings could be stocked. They felt the alewive population could take another 300,000 very long living lake trout. Why? Because they are federal fish they do not have to pay for......
  11. The bait population has climbed over the last couple years. Tons of bait with NO fish on it. It is not the norm. Ten years ago, you were lucky to see a couple bait schools in a trip. Now it is constant bait. We had many warm winters with very little if any die off (before 2014).
  12. Chad he is an Atlantic lover. He wants the lake full of Atlantic's so he can fly fish them all summer long.
  13. Tileman I don't have problems with trib fishermen. I enjoy the tribs. My issues with the tribs is with the unethical BS that goes on. There are great sportsmen that fish the tribs but for every one good guy there are three raping the fishery.
  14. The total will still be less money than the lake generates by far. Boats, riggers, fish finders, speed and temp units, rod and reel combos,Marinas, docking, maintenance, fuel, tackle, derbies/tourneys, hotels, food and much much more.
  15. Vince did not say to close the tribs totally Dave. He is talking about closing sections that support natural reproduction. They close lake trout season to protect spawning lakers. Why not do it with kings since 50% of the population is from natural reproduction?
  16. I believe he is reading you the same as I am Dave. You and your "Metal Head" friends comment was proof in the pudding. You have slathered your love for the streams and the Atlantic agenda on this board before.
  17. I would think steelhead would end up dead more over Browns. Steelhead fight to the death!
  18. Dave, the creel census is skewed. They do way more in ports where the steelhead are targeted more and there are more boats to stop. If they spent more time in the rochester basin and east, you would see a drastic reduction in steelhead. The ports to the west have steelhead within reach all the time thanks to the niagara plume. Sandy east when kings are not around, it is brown and laker time. That one issue with the creek census. Another issue with it is it does not show year class of salmon being caught. Last year they said the king numbers were high. Little did they show it was MOSTLY one and two year old kings (not a true representation of the fishery). I have not seen the creel census boat on Sandy in three years. And that last time I saw them, they were putting the boat back on the trailer at 11am.
  19. I will sell lot 1 shipped to the lower 48 for $20.00.
  20. I got one out of sandy this summer. I know three other boats that got one also.
  21. Wasn't 2012's hatch of alewives through the roof Vince?
  22. The two lots pictured are left.
  23. Rich s king Davy also has a different agenda than most. He would rather the king be totally gone so he can have a lake full of Atlantic salmon. Look back at his posts. You will see it.
×
×
  • Create New...