MVP spoon for kings was a Gator Stingray. MVP for browns was a Tuxedo Stingray. As for chicken rigs, the Chicken special behind a Crystalina Watermelon UV Hammerhead was the money winner this year.
I watched that video and a lot has changed from the original video. In the original video they were blaming sea lice. Gotta love how the government covers up stuff from the public.
You would think it would be that easy to get people but it's not. I'm amazed at the lack of help with the pen projects. I understand about out of state guys but the local guys there's no excuse.
I think we should ask the DEC if this were to happen again if volunteers could hold them in pens. We could have pens made like the pen rearing projects, hold them until the weather clears and then take the to the lake and drop them in the evening. We could raise money to build extra pens and have them ready. It would take volunteers which is a problem because a lot of people can't take the time to help. I think it would not be too much to ask of the DEC or the fishermen.
Union or not, they could still stock at night. You can change their schedule with advanced notice. You may have to pay them shift differential but who cares. Could we get the DEC to dump they into pens during the day and then we dump them out of the pens at sundown? I would volunteer for that.
I'm glad to read this about the meeting. I'm glad they are already looking into fixing the issue. In the past, I feel they had the attitude of we will see what happens. I wonder what is causing sterile coho? Could it be they are king/coho cross breeds? Interesting.
The entire run has to be looked at not just a small portion of the run. The salmon River reports were slow for the end of August, ALL of September and part of October. By looking at Columbus Day weekend and seeing a Decent run and basing the entire run on that weekend is not right. I will be a little more at ease when they get the egg quota but there is still something wrong and it needs to be figured out. I still shake my head at the lack of concern from some. We ALL have a lot invested in this fishery.
All the reports I have read state the run is way less than normal on the salmon. When they all run at once, it will give you a nice amount of fish in the river at once. As you know Dave, the runs normally start in August. The DSR reports are dismal except for Columbus Day weekend. Say what you want, fish are missing. The late August run was not there and September was a trickle. Not normal numbers in the river as far as the total run. Look at the big picture not one weekend.