Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising with all the nutrient flow and bait availability there......would you go across town to shop for groceries if you lived next door to Wegman's? Probably no accident that the lakers on Lake O are enormous by other lake standards
  2. Think of the strong underwater current out there as a river. Sometimes folks mistakenly identify underwater debris as fish too
  3. That is one heck of a boat and looks as though it just came out of the showroom condition-wise Good luck with the sale.
  4. I read something just yesterday indicating that a new study has indicated that New York State is the most restrictive state in terms of economic and personal freedom....I guess we already knew that didn't we? Here is a look at some of the others as well http://www.freedominthe50states.org/
  5. Glad things are working out Jason.
  6. Sk8man

    Seneca mid day

    You should be OK Hop as long as the grass doesn't mess you up. You know that area like the back of your hand anyway and if anyone can get into them Its you
  7. I've been a Lowrance user for over 30 years and this is my last one mainly because of the customer servicing. We shouldn't continue to support companies that don't truly support their customers.
  8. Here is a little better
  9. craveman85 - Just another cool one about that 13 ft Whaler....I used it heavily for 22 years and ended up selling it for $350 more than I paid for it Probably should have kept it for winter fishing great little safe boat.
  10. I believe what you have there are called dodgers rather than flashers from the looks of the pic. They are also useful with meat rigs but have a different action than true flashers.
  11. I haven't used one but it makes sense....and avoids the potential for tangles or weight screw-ups......the only downside is the expense
  12. Some things to think about with the flashers vs. phone apps etc. is battery life and durability. I have had my Vexilar FL20 for quite a few years without ANY problems whatsoever and it is still on the original battery and even after a whole day of use in extreme cold I have never had a "Low Battery" signal. My son uses a Humminbird and I'm sure the Marcum is likewise durable and made for the cold conditions and to last over time. These units are MADE for the harsh conditions and if you do any real amount of ice fishing this is a big difference from most other electronics that are not made specifically for this environment. As with boats reliability is important out there.....just something to think about.....
  13. It would be great to have a high fishing maintenance wife or girlfriend though Most of us would probably be considered high maintenance as far as the price of this stuff Good luck tomorrow and take care. Les
  14. Linda - First of all I applaude your tenacity and it is great to see a woman competing like this and into fishing as well. I know there are probably a lot of guys out there that are thinking "I wish my wife(or girlfriend) was into it like that"....very refreshing to see and I wish you much luck!
  15. If you get one with a zoom it will take a lot off the learning curve
  16. Nice going Justin...that pic would be a good ad for Bass Pro Shops too
  17. I 've been using mine the way they are for several years without problems the way I have them rigged above so I have no intention of paying (again) for that stuff. Like everything else "whatever the market will bear"....all about the profit bottom line....not great.
  18. You're very welcome. Good luck with it.
  19. Could be a lot of things but I'd start with tightening the drag. Their mouths are starting to harden up now and you need to check the hook sharpness as well. If you feel confident using the snubber and if these things don't correct the problem I'd go back to it as the braid has little to no stretch and the same for fluoro leaders so you may be pulling the hook on them too.
  20. The Marcum guys seem to love their units, and Humminbirds are popular as well. I've used Vexilars since the first model back in the 70's and love my FL20 so I guess as long as you get one of these brands you'll be a happy camper.
  21. Yes they do take a little getting used to and as mentioned if they start to go under on the way in point your rod downward as they are a real bear to get in when they go under if you don't
  22. Linda the underside has something that looks like a washer but the screw on top will snug down on it (see pics) Alex made good suggestions. I set the braid way back as far as it will go and I have CAREFULLY tightened the screw for the grip about as far as I can without compromising the plastic of the release so that the line doesn't slip out of it. Wrapping the braid a couple revolutions as mentioned should insure that there is no slippage which also may prolong the life of the jaws of the grip too because braid can see saw through it in time too. An additional suggestion especially if using braid is to replace the plastic pins at the back of the board with stainless steel ones so you don't have to worry about breakage and replacement. They can be ordered through Calumet Marine among other places (about $7. each? postage is about as much as the pins even here in US ).
  23. Anthony I don't think you will regret it....they are worth their weight in gold for ice fishing. Good luck! If you can try to get one with a zoom function regardless of make.
  24. Cool setup on the Lily It reminds me of my old 13 ft Whaler setup. I even had 15 ft outriggers and telescoping boom electric Cannons on it and during derbies on Lake O a lot of folks would come close to take pics of it
×
×
  • Create New...