-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
5/22 evening at sandy
Sk8man replied to Benfolkhero's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
We found the same situation going out from Hughes Saturday. We didn't mark jack out there and trolled all morning without either seeing anything (fish or bait) on the screen or getting hits until about 2:30 PM then the lakers started up (4 of them) and a small king about 4:30 out in the 135 to 240 range but nothing whatsoever out to 500 plus or into less than 100. We didn't see much happening on the boats around us either.....very slow out there and devoid of bait which was really bothersome. -
-
-
-
I just changed from a Johnson 9.9 long shaft 2 stroke to a brand new 4 stroke electric start 9.8 Tohatsu long shaft and there wasn't much difference in the weight at all but I stayed away from the electric trim option etc. for that very reason because t would have pushed the limit on my bracket. Mine is on a bracket too and not directly on the transom. I think the difference in motors was about 5 lbs. One of the things I would be checking out is the transom itself...is it possibly waterlogged and this amount of added weight is perhaps pushing it over the edge weight-wise? You didn't give any info regarding the exact kicker or what you have for the big motor so it is hard to say what the total weight is. I know the only difference in my 2 stroke 9.9 kicker and the 15 horse was in carburation. They were exactly the same motor and weight. Not sure about the 4 stroke versions. Also if you have a few batteries and the kicker located on the same side of the boat (and possibly other weight) and you are on that side as well in a boat that size (and depending on hull shape) it could be a weight distribution adjustment that is needed. I'd be experimenting with putting additional weight in the opposite side of the bow to see what happens too.
-
Thanks Jason and same to you bud. I also wish all the LOU folks fishing the derby good luck! Great bunch of people and I think we may at least try harder than the "average Joe" out there (don't take offense Joe S I certainly didn't mean you pardner ). Hopefully conditions will be good and we can all have a safe productive competition. My apology Mike if I drooled on the pic of your boat
-
-
-
-
-
-
National Lake Trout Derby
Sk8man replied to Great Lakes Lure Maker's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Yeah Mike I think the technology has improved a bit since the 70's and early 80's when the CB's were the main game and they had Derby Control at the Chamber with a lady operating the microphone who didn't know jack about fishing and a few people would be repeatedly asking what the leading fish was and others cutting her off by clicking the mike buttons and making noises etc. There is some real potential now for having meaningful input that could really improve things -
Sandy 5/21 evening trip
Sk8man replied to GAMBLER's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
-
In reference to my complaint about the Chamber being closed last year? You didn't miss much not going to Lake O today. Bob and I went all morning without a hit and then in the afternoon we ended up with 4 lakers and 2 small kings Bob lost another small king or steelie near the boat and that was about it.
-
new to stacking
Sk8man replied to Ohreelyfishing's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
flasher fly combination -
National Lake Trout Derby
Sk8man replied to Great Lakes Lure Maker's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
You know we may bust each other on both the north and south of Seneca Lake but when the chips are down regarding something important the brotherhood of fishermen comes through united Maybe this is an opportunity to improve something we ll care about greatly. -
National Lake Trout Derby
Sk8man replied to Great Lakes Lure Maker's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Despite having spent more than I should trying to win that boat for my son maybe they should consider scraping that idea due to the costliness and instead have a raffle for cash supported by just the ticket sales itself which could help offset personal derby expenses for the raffle winner or winners Cash prizes always seem to go over big with folks as many already have boats and that other arrangement of the $3500 or the boat seems like a "hussle" to me and overly expensive as a propostion. -
running both main motor and kicker off of one battery
Sk8man replied to youngknight's topic in This Old Boat
I think the main consideration relating to the issue of batteries (for me at least) is safety and especially on Lake O. It is an unforgiving environment and lake and if unfavorable circumstances come together like being out in the middle of the lake and having your battery crap out with a storm brewing and the waves building it becomes real clear what the advantages are having "options". Having been through this situation in a small boat in the past the concept of safety options is uppermost in my mind. Luckily my kicker came through for me with the pull start but with my current boat I have made sure I have a number of "options". I have even changed my setup since my previous post. I have a starting battery and a heavy duty combination deep cycle/starting battery. I have just my primary depth finder (which is a low draw) wired directly to the starting battery along with the lights and bilge pump which come through the main panel. The downriggers and kicker etc. are connected to the deep cycle combo battery and the kicker is a 4 stroke with a 6 amp alternator with pull start as well hooked to the combo battery. I also carry a portable D cell battery powered bilge pump with a section of garden hose to reach outside the boat. Even though my boat is advertised as "unsinkable" I don't depend on it with my life -
Reelfanatic - the noodle section is a good idea I've had a section of it on both the EZ steer connector and also the extension handle for my kicker throttle just in case I get "clumsy" (which in my case may be highly probable)
-
National Lake Trout Derby
Sk8man replied to Great Lakes Lure Maker's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
I agree with Sean and add to that the fact that they don't seem to have gone out of their way to attract new folks to the derby in the way of advertising it widely. Add to that even many of the folks on LOU have seen info suggesting that it can be pretty tough fishing on Seneca these days especially if you don't frequently fish the lake or are familiar with it. I have tried to share info with folks from out of the area who have PM'd me etc. If the current folks on the committee are really interested in maintaining the derby they should be exploiting every possible avenue of advertising (e.g. newspapers repeatedly, TV news stations upcoming events calendars, or other public venues) and re-examining the structure of the derby prize structure to see if they can offer a change as Sean mentioned regarding the raffle process. I know it may be a bit late for major changes but some sort of "enticement" might help the situation (e..g. blind drawings at everyday for all entrants regardless of entering fish or not). I know that part of the motivation for the weigh in of fish has related to the collection of data by the DEC but continuation of the derby may be a higher priority right now. -
Not sure what your exact setup is regarding placement of transducer and side it is located on etc. but probably turbulence from the prop wash is going sideways (forced by the plate itself in the down position)) in the direction of the transducer and presenting as "clutter". If you can locate tyhe transducer to the opposite side away from the direction of the prop it may help. If you can't (for example have a kicker mounter there) I think you may be stuck with the situation but you might be able to minimize the screen presentation by reducing your sensitivity and/or "clutter" setting on the unit.
-









