Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. I think that is what is is about.....products that contain lead are and have been under government scrutiny for a long time as possible carcinogens as well as regarding lead poisoning and probably companies are worried about either potential litigation or maybe some tax applied to the stuff (either in transportation, labeling or here in NYS etc. I know I don't like handling raw lead directly and always cast my weights and sinkers outside and then coated them with Plastidip so that I wouldn't be exposed to it handling them.
  2. Good luck with it. I think they are saying we have some warmer weather coming up in a bit lets hope it hurries along
  3. Is the tourney for Seneca?
  4. I would echo Capt. Vince's comment. They are a truly spectacular fish and deserve a great future. Mother Nature sometimes finds or creates her own solutions that we sometimes don't see in advance. Lets hope this is one of those situations.
  5. Nice going Mike. I'm sure the recipient will be happy with it. I'll bet you can't wait to give that new one a workout
  6. Big Easy you did a heck of a nice job on that.
  7. Ric66 thanks for posting that as it underscores what many of us have been trying to get across and that the resource is not automatically replenished as some folks seem to think.
  8. I leave my big motor tilted up but I wrap my prop with a garbage bag and bungi cord (eg after making sure it is drained)
  9. Very well put and something to think about Steve.
  10. Ahab, The perch are sometimes eaten by trout but they are not a main part of their diet on Seneca and they are not technically considered a "baitfish" for trout (at least currently) Alewives are the mainstay of their diet.
  11. Very disturbing and to varying degrees the other bodies of water where these invasives have taken hold are experiencing problems as well and the extent of it is truly scary because once an essential link it the food is taken out at the bottom eventually the things at the upper levels will gradually disappear and this seems to be happening in a number of places with no obvious solution in sight.
  12. No sense beating a dead horse here. I think it is good that a wide variety of things have been placed here to look at and people have had the opportunity to think about some of the issues and give their opinions and thoughts on the topic. It is clear that it is a "polarizing" topic which an be a good thing if not "personalized" in a way that degrades the holders of differing views. It is also clear that the opposite ends of the spectrum in this regard will not be changing anytime soon and that is OK too. One of the more humorous aspects to this is that my position has been painted as a "flaming liberal" one when nothing is further from the truth. In fact I am a member of the Conservative Party Committee politically and even funnier that I actually hold some similar views of intervention and interference by the government (e.g. SAFE Act) etc. but this issue for me is "issue specific" and has absolutely nothing to do with political or ideological views. It is based on what I see going on with the lakes around us and with the perch population in particular that I find disturbing and in need of intervention. The unfortunate fact is that voluntary compliance seldom works when there is money at the bottom of a situation or in the case of over harvesting - greed and in that case more formalized interventions need to be looked at. This is a complex situation in need of intervention and it will probably take more than just one thing to solve it. As long as people continue to exploit the resource and it is under these intense pressures it will not last if not headed off or contained, and you'd have to be blind not to see what is going on out on these lakes.
  13. Very nicely said Cornelis
  14. Why not skip the release and go with the old style Yellow birds? Very light weight and can be used on light tackle and less drag than other inlines only limitation is the distance of the leader behind them if don't hand line the fish
  15. Ditto
  16. Have a great season Billy.
  17. Kingfisher - It has been mentioned several times that the sale of perch is only ONE factor in this situation. Nobody said that by eliminating this ONE factor it will totally solve the problem. Basically you are taking the position that there is no problem and asking for scientific evidence that it exists. It would be great if a competent scientifically based body would take this on and run all sorts of acceptable studies and formulate some rational conclusions but this isn't being done and as far as anyone can see there are no plans to do it by anyone and denying that any problems exist and putting our heads in the sand will not accomplish anything. I sincerely hope that you and others expressing similar views are correct in that no problem actually exists and it is all a figment of some folks imagination because they are hell bent on imposing their will and philosophy on you and trying to take away your "God given" rights and depriving you of the opportunity to be a venture capitalist. If however you aren't correct in your "assessment" of the situation and things continue to deteriorate it could be too late for any type of intervention. This is not a solitary issue relating to one local body of water (e.g. Seneca) as other lakes are under these "pressures" as well (e.g. Honeoye and Canandaigua, and Keuka for example) but perhaps at different rates or stages.
  18. Thx Hop
  19. Ummmm I think you forgot to add the price
  20. Ditto. It is also gratifying to see that you have the support of those Sandy folks....another indicator that there are some really good generous folks out there.
  21. I can see that you didn't take your psychotropic medication today so there is no use responding.
  22. And there my friends is the voice of experience
  23. Ahab - although you make some interesting points in your argument woth considering your denigration of young people and short sighted view of influences of folks who may have moved to the area or perhaps just weren't born here and blaming them for having views which oppose yours is truly ignorant as well as arrogant. I respect your right to voice your view as well as other folks who may have very different views than my own oir some of the others here and I would defend your and their right to express them as well but is it really necessary to demean or belittle people as though your own viewpoint is more valid than theirs or blame others who may not have lived their whole lives in the area for what you perceive as a threat to your own views? It is unfortunate that divergent views can't be expressed without the polarization and belittling of others.
  24. Yup.....Good going John
×
×
  • Create New...