-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
-
Sean you have a PM
-
Some thoughts on Perch fishing etiquette and other "issues"
Sk8man replied to Sk8man's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
I believe that there is a proposal in the works to address the issues and it could serve as a "springboard" to initiate action on the part of the DEC but it will require our support and I sincerely hope that the pan fishermen on LOU will be behind it when it materializes. We will need to put pressure on our legislature representatives then too. If the proposal recommendations are incorporated into the existing regulations it may be possible to save some panfish for future generations and I think that is something we could all be happy about and proud of the effort. -
awesome video of dorado, flying fish and frigate birds
Sk8man replied to dremarquis's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Very cool Dre....unreal photography too. -
I wonder if he realizes that the ring is a more effective form of celibacy than any other
-
I'm no mechanic but it would seem SAFER to change batteries (potential for sparks etc.) than to jump start. I keep jumpers on the boat too but they are thought of as "last resort".
-
Not caught in finger lakes but had to share it...
Sk8man replied to letsfish2day's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
-
If you need to keep it tilted (I do to get out of the steep driveway on the way to storage barn) put it all the way down and make sure all water is out and then put a heavy duty garbage bag over the prop and place a bungi cord tightly around it.
-
-
Some thoughts on Perch fishing etiquette and other "issues"
Sk8man replied to Sk8man's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Some of the problem with perch fishing in particular is that it is highly subject to the "herd mentality" so people rather than fishing a multitude of spots or bodies of water "cluster" together whether on the ice or open water based on rumor and/or "secretly" shared information. Despite the legendary nature of Seneca's "jumbos" a number of the other Finger Lakes have them as well but it is a matter of locating them and adhering to good sportsmanship practices to maintain populations of them and most humans are lazy by nature. I honestly think it is about time that the DEC limits the take to 25 and prohibits their commercial sale, and fishing for them during the spawning period too. I know this would piss off a majority of people reading this but something needs to be done and soon if we are to have any perch fishing for future generations of fishermen. We can't continue to be so short sighted and still have a viable fishery. -
Some thoughts on Perch fishing etiquette and other "issues"
Sk8man replied to Sk8man's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Billy it is also some of the local folks who do it as well. The unfortunate central thing that is happening with this and our culture in general is GREED. There are a lot of folks out there now that I'm certain had "Doesn't play well with others" on their kindergarten report cards It is really too bad that there are so many dishonest and greedy people out there these days pretending to be "sportsmen" and selfishly taking resources away from the environment, and from other people and especially future generations. They seem to be operating under the premise that whatever is mine is mine and whatever is yours is mine too". A big difference in sharing info on perch and crappies etc. versus trout/salmon on here is that when you locate them they are "school fish" and it is much easier to decimate the population by greedy people. I for one am done sharing any info publicly about these species because the potential negative effects far outweigh the positives when considering the large scale impact of the Internet and our changing societal values. -
I believe the weight limit is 10 lbs on them but I know that some folks exceed that
-
Tony I sent you a PM with phone numbers
-
-
You aren't splitting hairs... you make valid points. I didn't realize that that particular unit has a flasher mode as I have never used that one. You are also right about personal preference being a significant factor. The slight humming noise of the non-LCD flashers is something that after so many years of using them that I don't even notice or pay attention to anymore. Idid however forget to mention that the LCD screens are more fragile especially in the cold (if they are hit or dropped accidentally) than those of the regular flashers. Hopefully docK holliday has a few things to think over from the discussion though
-
Some thoughts on Perch fishing etiquette and other "issues"
Sk8man replied to Sk8man's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Dre - I honestly don't know what the specific process would be but probably the quickest easiest thing would be to reclassify them as a "game fish" despite the possible absurdity -
First of all LCD units and flashers are two very different "animals" and each has its strengths and weaknesses. Although the LCD units give good visual information regarding what is going on down there they are not in "real time" because it takes time for the screen writes and rewrites moving from right to left. They are however nice for deep water jigging for lakers for example because you can see position of the jig, the fish coming for it and also gain good info about groups of fish and the depths they are located at etc. but there are delays in that information reaching you and sometimes that is all it takes between success and failure. Flashers are immediate in that as soon as something breaks the beam coming into the cone you can with experience tell much from the changing signal (color changes going from green to yellow/orange then red as the fish comes closer to the bait or jig). You can even with experience estimate whether the fish is big or small directly under you or to the side a bit etc. Once someone becomes competent using their flasher although there may be more along the lines of interpreting what is happening it is really close to viewing it in real time especially with the critical zoom function operating. I have both types of units and I have been using flashers since the first "boxes" came out as well as some of the first graphs (e.g.Heath Kit and Vexilar) and their successors (since the early 70's anyway) and it takes awhile to really learn to use the flashers properly but each type unit is still dependent on the skill level of the user and intimate knowledge of the target species habits and behaviors (much of which can be learned by looking down the hole visually while jigging) LCD units can be quite slow in extreme cold too but i have never had a problem with a flasher regardless of temp. Flashers excel especially in shallow water applications a (much of ice fishing happens there) and The LCD is great for the lakers out deep. The fairly recent addition of the dimension of color on each of them (now affordable) has radically improved the quality of their use. The older LCD's and their predecessors were black and white or grey scale and the flashers had single color bulbs (not LEDS) usually red and you could only "guesstimate size of target and location by brightness and width of light alone. There is a place for each in the arsenal.
-
-
-
The docks were still in earlier this week when I was perch fishing nand the handicap dock is in all the time anyway at this time of year but you'll need to be careful and have your lower unit or outdrive up a bit as there is some sort of obstruction (looks like a light colored boxy item in about 3 ft of water right near the south edge of the Inn on the lake hotel building and just a hair west of the center of the canal so stay a little to the left going out toward the lake at that point. I nailed it going out and luckily I was going slow so it didn't do any visible damage. Fast trolling with medium to small spoons is usually the ticket this time of year.
-
http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/this-year%E2%80%99s-disgusting-green-algal-bloom-in-lake-erie-was-the-most-severe-on-record/ar-BBmWfWZ?ansmsnnews11
-
-
I use mine without any vehicle etc. so the electrical interference of that type is unknown. I haven't had any difficulty with other units interfering with it out on the ice though. If it were me I would be sticking with my flasher (I think l I recall you have a Marcum?) for the shallow stuff and I use my hand held Lowrance H2O GPS ($120?) for that function or even my Bushnell Backtrack GPS ($90). Hard to beat the flasher zoom for perch and walleye in shallow water and the immediate reading in real time rather than waiting for the screen rewrites.....just my opinion though and I'm "old school"
-
One of the things I've noticed over the years is that no system is perfect because of the changing consistency and depth of the snow. Two systems seem to stand out from the conventional commercial plastic or "rubberized" runners though. They are: a) the ski approach used above and b) galvanized conduit or pipe frames; and perhaps third PVC (small diameter) pipe home made frames. There are some snow/ice conditions that one or the other travels better on and where you have chunked up ragged ice with snow on it the higher the center of gravity the more chance of it tipping over and being difficult to maneuver. It is also helpful to wax the skis before and after use with good quality ski wax. Wet snow is often rather difficult to get through regardless of setup.









