-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
-
"ignored" ?
-
Setting up leadcore rod
Sk8man replied to Lakertaker187's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
Good point! but even more critical before KIDS -
Sweet! Nice going and cool report!
-
Cayuga 11-15-13 Report and Herbiecam Vid
Sk8man replied to Skippers Trophy 01's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
I've often thought about the fact that we assume that we aren't going over fish when we see nothing on the screen but the videos suggest that much can go on outside the cone of the transducer and also we may think they aren't biting at all when its mainly a matter of them not quite getting hold of the lure. Interesting that one fish that first checked out the Spinney real quick and then went back to the lure and chased....classic case of how it's supposed to work -
Really neat! Going to be tough improving on that first one into the future though Nothing like that first buck to get the old heart thumping
-
Champ is right on the money with his advice! It's kinda like the fishing in high winds on Lake O. I used to do it but after a bunch of times getting beat up I finally responded to "common sense" figured it's just not worth the effort or risk and revised my thinking to "There's always another day"
-
-
I got to thinking further about the Burbot. Like Cod they apparently are bottom oriented in deep water and are aggressive feeders and probably the major way to fish for them is jigging or maybe even still fishing (which not that many folks do anymore on Canandaigua). Jigging on the Finger Lakes seems to be gaining in popularity and it could be that more of these interesting fish will be caught going forward. Just a thought.
-
Cayuga 11-15-13 Report and Herbiecam Vid
Sk8man replied to Skippers Trophy 01's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Nice going! That brown did have some nice coloration too....Thanks for the video also. Sure makes me wish I hadn't put the boat away but I had no choice the winterization guys are off hunting now so had to get it wrapped up beforehand. Man...I was thinking exactly the same thing as I watched Joe.... -
-
Family holiday and fishing in the Siberian Taiga
Sk8man replied to VladimirR's topic in Fishing Videos
Ah! That is all that counts....plus eating them on vacation helps too -
Family holiday and fishing in the Siberian Taiga
Sk8man replied to VladimirR's topic in Fishing Videos
Hey Vlad.....nice job on the video and great scenery ...but next time you need to find some bigger fish ! -
I dinged the prop on something submerged in the channel itself. I should have mentioned that it wasn't shallow water per se. There used to be old wooden posts with wire on them there too but they are probably gone now. As I mentioned it wasn't recently that I was there.
-
Nice going Joe...and....you're making me regret putting the boat away....I'm having withdrawal symptoms already
-
I'll second that. I haven't launched there in years but even with my previous smaller boat I dinged my prop in there on the way out to the lake. The state launch is the way to go on Keuka. By the way Morgan rents cottages they own right next to the marina if you wish to be at that end of the lake. It would avoid the trip out to the lake itself.
-
-
Nice going. and good report....we were thinking perch yesterday for today but the weather had other ideas How does the water level look at the Woodville launch? Yesterday it was very low at the north end launch ramp. One of the guys I spoke with at the launch ramp bottomed out his skeg while I was helping him launching on the "handicapped" ramp. The other docks are pulled out on shore now. The channel was only a couple feet deep and the lake was crystal clear so it looked like inches Looks as though they have pulled the lake level down quite a bit.
-
In line with what the frenchman is saying I've been successfully using homemade releases (although I have on hand and have used most other commercial releases e.g. Offshores etc.). Here is an example that I use for multiple lines on my outriggers, off planer boards and even on inline boards on 50 lb.Spectrum braid. I use rubber bands in them if running top lines (lighter lines) and use without (full strength) if for heavier stuff. They are Dollar Store materials and probably cost about $.25 each plus the small shrink wrap on the ends. Never have a problem with them.
-
-
-
Meat rigs/cutbait:What's your take? (Discussion)
Sk8man replied to Sk8man's topic in Tackle and Techniques
-
Hope you've had a great birthday Bob. Keep at those great recipes of yours too! Best wishes for many happy returns! Les
-
Meat rigs/cutbait:What's your take? (Discussion)
Sk8man replied to Sk8man's topic in Tackle and Techniques
-
Meat rigs/cutbait:What's your take? (Discussion)
Sk8man replied to Sk8man's topic in Tackle and Techniques
Well I was at it again....messing with stuff. I made some home made immitation bait rigs after Tim's post. I know they won't fool you folks but I hope they fool the fish. They have a stiff copper wire inside so I can bend them anyway I wish to tune them and the hook is totally adjustable. The bodies started out as rubbery/plastic 9 inch shad jig baits with curly tails (for salt water) that I modified and cut the existing rubber like heads off. The tails wiggle and move back and forth and the eye pupils move as well. They are a little heavier than traditional meat rigs but I'm hopeful they will work when tuned and scented Unfortunately my boat is plastic wrapped now so I can't test them out Hoping this will give some of you ideas for the winter doldrums







