Ajusting reel drags

With some help you can adjust your drag by using a fish weight scale. With rod and reel, hook up to the anchored scale and adjust your drag to the desired setting. The crew helper can take your reading for you.

Note: Your line rubbing on the rod eyes produces a light drag and is factored in with this process.

Dale

Normally the preferred drag set is 20% of the line test you are using. This is the rule of thumb that most of us left coasters use. Now tournament fishing or structure or the type of fish you are fishing for may dictate something different.

Thank you fishstalker, but how do i do the 20%? with the rod bent pulling up or with rod straight pulling that way? I've been fishing all my life and i always did it pulling line off the reel with my hand and ajust it that way. wanted to know the right way.

when ive seen this on tv the crew sets the drag straight off the reel no rod bend (2 guys) but they use 700.00 reels so the drag is always the same.there ant really a formula for most 100.00 or less reels just tighten your line and give a slight pull after your depth is reached if you can pull line (couple in) then your good to go if you cant move it a king will be showing off your lure to all his buddies. if its a big one you can tighten a little as your spool thins hopefully by then it will be getting tired and slow down as easy as it is to say DONT turn the drag too much and even do the pull thing if it stops just to make shure you didnt over tighten......but if your running 17 to 20 lb test you should almost never break your line .keep in mind 99%of broke lines are due to cheep line,nicks,BAD knots or abbrasion from fishes tail as he swims away .its your only connection to the fish so red tag .99cent a spool ant a good idea i like P-line but any good brand will work dont get hung up on low memory,soft and silky or invisable for kings they be looking at one thing and thats the bait.trial and error is the best thing for you but this will get you in the zone.one more thing to test your knot if you can lift a 10 lb ball (carefull of hand and lower and raise a few inches off the deck your knot is goor thr polymar is easy and good the line tie is good too but one bad wrap can or not wetting line to tighten can give you a bad knot

Whatever works for you guys ............ I stated the method prescribed by factory line reps. Drag pound ratings are hard to evaluate other wise. But I would also figure that if the line doesn't break or stretch when pulling it straight from the reel, you would be good to go. I think most of us would probably do that. Ray kinda drifted off the subject to include all kinds of line information that wasn't in the original inquiry but good information none the less. We could divest into sticky drags as well. :lol:

FS i do tend to digress just a bit ....watching some of those fishing shows some times they do a line test segment and most good line and knots hold up to max breaking strength with steady pull .im shure what you said is about right for the hammer and head thrashing of a fighting fish but on a rocking boat and sticky drags(okuma)opps (older ones)its tuff to remeasure drag after each change. i sometimes use my drag to lower riggers so a quick tug test works fer me after the rod is set.though its one of those learn as you go tugs and watching the rod bend and just before i go over the back of the boat i loosen the drag.

• 2 weeks later...