Looking for info for Salmon River to Henderson Harbor

I have a group of Boy Scouts who will want to fish on Lake Ontario so we will be traveling over next weekend. We were looking at staying at the Selkirk State Park but could change plans to stay up near Henderson Harbor. The boys would like to catch salmon but Lakers would keep them happy. If the water is rough switching to walleyes or bass would work. Any suggestions for areas to try?

I fished the lake for the first time over Memorial day weekend out off Wilson and had two fair days with the help of all the info people responded with. A big thanks to everyone for helping out. We went 3/9 the first day; three small salmon and lost one in the 15-20 lb class at the boat and the second day we fished for 4 hours and went 4/6 with three small salmon and a 25" steelhead. We caught all the fish on 8lb test and would have boated the larger king if it hadn't been for a newbie behind the wheel; when trying to net the fish he couldn't put the boat in neutral so on the 4th dive next to the boat the fish swam into the prop and broke us off.

I agree with George, the launch at Mexico is much better than the one at Pine grove. If it is kings head towards the plant and get into 100+ fow and start looking. As far as the BT's, the only word I can say is EARLY. We were out Monday, got a late start to due to kids having to get on the bus. We had our first skunk since last spring, so we were due, but it still hurt. Marked ungodly amounts of bait, with some fish right on the bottom any where from 35-75 fow. Hopefully they will change their eating habits for this weekend, but it is that time of year for some poor boxes. Good Luck.

Rich

Thanks for the help. It makes it a whole lot easier when you can eliminate unproductive water before you even get on the water. The kids met last night to pack the groups gear and they are excited about giving this a try. Let's hope the fish will want to cooperate this weekend. There doesn't seem to be too much chatter about the lake from Henderson Harbor to the Salomon river right now. Is that because things are slow in that area right now or do the guys who fish that end of the lake keep their information to themselves?

It has been pretty slow. It is the transition period, so it is a tough time for catching. If you want lakers, I am sure you can run towards HH, go out from Sandy Pond, and look for the fish to laying on the bottom from 1oo' on out and drag the bottom with cow bells if you have them. If not then the old flashers with flys right on the bottom will work also. Will you have puter access when you get up here?

Rich