Port Credit/Bronte

Hey Guys,

I am new to fishing Lake Ontario and this site as I have just moved into the Halton area. I have trolled Georgian Bay for the past 20 years and they say it is different fishing here. Tried it twice late in the season last year and got a small shaker. I not use to such a flat bottom with no structure.

I was wondering what depths of water to fish in and if you find mornings or evenings better. Also I have mainly fished lymans and spoons, what other techniques are good here. Do you need to find the baite fish to find the salmon.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Hey iggy135, welcome. You didnt mention what tackle your using but Ill assume youve got riggers. I fish out of Bronte quite a bit. I usually start right at the 80 ft drop straight out of the harbour, and troll east or west. You can usually find bait in that area. Sometimes they will be alot shallower and sometimes deeper, but its a good place to start.I use mostly spoons and run them behind 8 in flashers but alot of guys use flasher/fly setups. Lymans work good too. Ive always had better luck in the morning but the last time out didnt get a good fish till 1200 noon.

If targeting rainbows I troll an orange spoon in the top 20 ft of water, if Im after salmon Ill watch the ff for bait and set the depth accordingly. Theres a thousand different techniques and ways to catch em but hope this bit of info will get you started. Listen to the VHF, most guys use ch 68 or 72 and you will know whose doing what and catching them where. Oh, everybodys got diff ideas on trolling speeds. My starting point is around 2.5. If Im not getting bites I go faster. Last year I was consistently getting better results trolling over 3mph according to the ff speed.

Good Luck and good fishin to ya!

Jawbreaker out.

• 2 weeks later...