newb looking for alil bit of help

Hey all,

Im new to Salmon fishing from shore (and salmon fishing in general)...completely new...so im looking for quite abit of direction as to how to approach these salmon runs

ill just kind of point form my questions here

a) gear - any specific lures? lb test? etc (ive heard casting spoons like cleos etc)

b) any specific spots that typically give up afew fish?

c) ive heard under the burlington skyway/bronte harbour....if i were to go to one of these spots...should we be casting in the lake, or into the channel?

d) and finally...whats the best time of day/night to go?

I thank you all for your time, and any help what so ever would be greatly appreciated

Shane

• 3 weeks later...

This is all for shore fishing which I have done for 20+years and it works well:

A= If casting with lure I like to use a 9'-10' medium heavy rod with a reel in the 3000 series something that holds 180+ yards of 8lb line. I like using there for 8lb line if casting or sitting with a row bag and egg sinker. The one thing is you what a good quality reel with a good drag system as they will run at least be looking to spend $80.00 on a reel.

-lures very from colour of water and what the fish are doing if they are rolling allot or are they staying deep.

-I use rattle raps, floating rapalas, cleo's, crocodiles, and cast masters. Like I said the Cleo's are glow in the dark for night fishing and the rattle raps as well in dark silty water, Crocodiles and Cast masters I like when the fish are deep and far as you can sling them further than anything. The floating rapala are great when the fish are in and rolling on bait.

B= I fished Credit, Rouge, Wilmot, Port Hop, Oshawa, But the best spot I think is Port Hop it's a very nice town good crowds and great fishing folks. The best thing is you have a large area where you can fish if it's the pears, rocks, center warehouse, river, yacht tie down area, warm water discharge, you pick. I always to great of the pears and once the fish are in left rock wall halve way out.

C= sure

D= Any time is great usually I will hit during a good rain or after a good rain when the river has risen, I like going at 3:00pm and staying till midnight I find the best time. They move in at night with the cover of darkness a good south wind will push them in as well.

I have fished like this all the time and have been very successful with my results I hop they bring you luck :rofl: