Hot Lure: glow on one side blue,green with stick on eye

Trolling Speed: ?

Down Speed: don't know

Boat Depth: 250's for hits, tried from 100-300ft

Lure Depth: 55'

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

The wife and I headed out of the oak, got out to about 230' and started to set. Had her steering while I set rods. Third rod set was my one downrigger, wife was asking how it worked as this is the first year we used one. Before getting the last rod set, she was asking what's that, I was looking at a different rod and then looked at the downrigger and fish on. Told her to grab it, got a 20" king. Nothing huge but a good start and finally got her into some fish, as every other time we've been out we've gotten skunked. Trolled out to 300' then started having problems with the kicker. It kept stalling, so I was messing with that while we turned around. We were trolling back in with the motor stalling every minute or two and she sees the downrigger go off again. Both fish were in the 250' range 55' down on the rigger. 2nd fish was a 30" king 9 lbs. Then headed in as I couldn't get the big motor started. So gun the kicker and it runs fine for the rest of the time, but still couldn't get the big motor started as I think I flooded it and killed the battery with trying to start the kicker so much. I'm thinking it's bad gas since I've been having trouble with both motors. Hope to get the big motor running toget back out. Lots of boats out in the 100' range but didn't see much action.

HEY "D" ya mentoned you got skunked then,,,,,, with the troller goofing up you got fish! maybe you should slow down a bit and remember what you were doing when you were getting hits (irregular speed) sometimes a problem with a moter can teach you how to catch more fish.. "if your listening" ps try running the kicker a tad before setting up to warm up and clean out then before comming in after pulling rods give the kicker another shot of fresh air for a few minutes ...ant gonna help excissive water in the gas but will suck small amounts of water from settling bowl that tends to roll around in there and gets sucked up at low speeds and stalls specially when your taking waves (rollers) from the side..(usually on a turn when you need it the most)

Good ideas Ray. Always learning. :)

I have been trying the speed up and slow down at times and trying many other thoughts from all you knowledgable folks on this site. I keep forgetting my GPS so I'm starting to learn the rigger hum for speed control. I'm not sure about the buffy fishing, but might try to get my wife to try it. :rofl:

Might have to try warming the motor up like you said and run it good before shutting down.