Coated wire vs. "singing" Downrigger cables

Coated wire vs. “singing†DR cables.

I, like many who troll the Great Lakes have come to accept that our traditional downrigger cables “sing†when we troll. But some recent experience has led me to question whether this is good, bad or neutral. This fall as in every other fall, I have done some trolling on Lake George and some of the other lakes in the eastern Adirondacks. When I am solo, I run one rigger with coated wire and when I have company I run one coated and one plain. The plain wire rigger is usually run with a black-package mojo generator. I definitely got more action off the rigger with the coated wire WITHOUT the SubTroll probe. The coated wire was also much quieter. I know this is purely anecdotal, or maybe I am not playing with a full deck. Anybody look onto this or have any thoughts?

Paul

Hi Paul.....been awhile since I've seen ya. Hope all is good!

We have given this thought on our boat and have discussed about going all-coated. I tried the braided cable....big mistake!! It collected more fleas than I ever thought possible. Luckily, I only tried it on one rigger. It didn't last an hour and I stripped it off. My next attempt may be to try 250 lb power pro, once someone can confirm it does not collect fleas like the braided cable does? All things being equal, I think I'd prefer to go with the power pro over coated cable.