Avoiding Tangles Question...

I just finished reading several threads on copper and with only 1 year of experience really of running it, I have a question still about avoiding tangles.

I fish central lake erie mostly, but make it up to lake o at least once a year. I only have 1 copper rig (400). Previously I ran it right down the chute with a musky float (courtesy of "chinook"). But was questioning to bring my boards up and run it off the side. The problem of this is, it is a lot of extra work for only 1 rod- versus it working pretty well running off the back. And I have the old school bow-mast set-up.

Will running copper off boards prevent tangles vs. running it down the chute? It seems possible (not sure how likely) that a big salmon could hit a downrigger and run into the copper run off the chute/musky float. Typically we kept 100 foot of line between the boat and the float.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

we run alot of things down the chute (lead, copper, and flatlines) and they almost never get tangled. As your spread size increases it might help to get it away from the boat but 5-7 rod spreads shouldnt be any trouble.