What to do with a turkey

Before we get there, now is a good time to plan what to do with one before we bag it.  Still haven’t shot one yet but the flock showing up in my field every day is getting my hopes up.  They always seem to disappear on opening day but just in case, what are your favorite ways to prepare wild turkey?

With the breasts we cut cross grain medallions and marinate and grill. 
I also slice with grain and make jerky, very good. 
if he doesn’t respond to your thread pm Kevin Legg on the site. Guy knows what to do with all of it. Good luck. 

865814048396020-90-3-04272024074326-W1000982.jpeg

• Thanks 1

We used to skin our birds whole, a bit faster than plucking, then wrap them in bacon to re-create skin so to speak, placed it in a baking bag and put it in the oven. Moist and delicious. 

11 minutes ago, greenboatluke said:

We used to skin our birds whole, a bit faster than plucking, then wrap them in bacon to re-create skin so to speak, placed it in a baking bag and put it in the oven. Moist and delicious. 

That’s sounds good. Did you do anything else to it?

It’s good many ways but one of my favorite is to remove silver skin and tendons from the breast, slice across the grain into strips and deep fry like fish. These turkey fingers are great with a honey mustard dip. 
   I also will slice the breast in half crosswise and pound them out thin . Marinate them and grill.

Don’t forget the thigh meat which is very good. It can be grilled or ground for sausage, meat sticks or turkey burger. I often mix with pork.

The drumsticks have very hard tendons and I generally cook them with the rest of the carcass (bones) and make a delicious turkey soup. 
  I even enjoy the heart , liver, and gizzard which I slice and pan fry in butter with garlic.

You can basically use it as you would boneless, skinless chicken breast.

You get several meals if you use all and don’t just take the breast!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, that’s awesome. I was hoping to use as much of it as possible without just using the breasts and discarding the rest.   Now I just have to shoot one and not shoot over it’s head like last year.

6 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

That’s sounds good. Did you do anything else to it?

Not really much. We’d prop the bird up on some potatoes so it wouldn’t fall on its side. Threw some carrots and onion in on occasion. 

The last few birds I have been making a smoked turkey chili with the legs, wings, neck, and thighs. I put them in the instant pot for an hour, then shred  it and add the meat to the pot of chili and smoke it.

• Like 1