New from down state

Name: Frank AKA-Macdragon

Home Port:Kingston NY

Boat Name/Type: Fisher 18', Outboard

I fish for: Stripers, Trout, Salmon, and whatever else I can snag.

==================

From casual observation I see that quite a few of the reporters here are charter captains. I've fished the big O off and on for years. But it has been years since I've had a boat of my own to attempt to do so again.

I am hoping to get up there in the fall for the annual run.

While reading the other posts I see terminology I don't understand. such as FOW? Can someone clue me in please?

• 2 months later...

I just hope I don't go broke before I get back on the water. :@

We live by the lower Hudson River, so Striper fishing is easy for us to get out and do as it is only a 5 min run from the house to put the boat in. And I've caught quite a few Stripers over 30# through the years. I know that's not huge for Stripers, but for the upper Hudson it is trolling lures.

My first trip to Lake Onterio was in the fall of 85 when snagging was still allowed. Never caught a fish. It actually scared the hell out of me, and I never tried it again. We were at the Trestle Pool at 5am, and there was nothing but glowing cigarettes all the way around the pool. When first light came, I heard bullets zinging by my head. Two ounce hunks of lead with a #1 treble hook embedded in it is a devastating weapon. Needless to say, I backed out of there.

It was two years later on October 1st of '87 that I will never forget. A Nor Easter came though the lower hudson valley, dumping 16" of wet snow on the area. At Selkirk Shores, the wind was blowing thirty knots and pushing waves onto the shore that were in the 8' high range. We were in my 18' Bow rider behind the breakwater on the Salmon River. We were casting Shad Raps across current and on almost every cast, had a hookup. What a ball. The fish were stacked up and we finally had to quit because our arms were worn out.