UPDATED BLACK'S ON A SUB-T

LongLine

Here’s an updated post from the P.H. era - Black’s on a Sub-T:

I’ve tried many releases but I always return to Black’s. Probably because I like to pop the line loose & let the lure flutter up while I’m cranking in the cable and then have no hassle resetting them exactly where they were. (or maybe it’s just that I’ve been running them for so many yrs that mastering the other brands is impossible with my motor skills)

Anyways, the only problem with them on a coated cable is that they may spin and wear bare spots on the cable, hence may cause a loss of signal. Here’s my solution for the 150Lb-coated cable:

BLACKSONSUBTlgt.jpg

It’s a short piece of spray tube from a can of WD-40. The diameter fits the cable perfectly. (Note: tubes from other spray cans are different sizes – usually too small) The release holes were enlarged ever so slightly. The tube is held in place by crimping the wire holding portion of a wire connector. The crimp also prevents the release from sliding up the cable. The release can spin all it wants and will not wear into the cable coating. The result is no loss of signal. :D

This year, I upsized to the 210 Lb coated cable. Unfortunately the WD-40 tube has too small of a diameter and is virtually impossible to ream out. The solution is to use a piece of insulation from 12 AWG stranded copper electrical wire.

BLACKSONSUBThvy.jpg

:D

I’ve had both down over 100 ft & have not lost signal.

Tom B.

(LongLine)