speed for spring browns?

Thanks Gill, I've got bags, just needed to know if I should use them. Sounds like I'll need one on calm or down-wind trolls, but can probably pull it in when I'm going into the wind.

Hi Joe

My speed all depends on water color. If the color is deep green or brown I'll slow it down to around 2.0 or a little slower. Clear water, I'll bump it up to 2.5 or higher, I can't tell you how many times I'm killen the browns and I have to pass other boats that are just putten around. Atlantics like it fast, last year most of our atlantics came on outside turns or when I bumped the speed up.

Capt. Dave

Thanks Dave - good stuff to learn. I'll be de-winterizing the boat this weekend and will get the trailer inspected/registered early next week - then I'll be ready to hit the water the next couple weekends.

It's going to take a bit for me to start learning to troll with rod & reel for trout and salmon. I grew up trolling for lakers the old fashioned way - pulling copper hand lines with the old Pflueger Record spoons on Keuka.

I appreciate the tips and help that everybody here at LOU provides. A great community!

Try varying your speed. We have had good days at higher speed and good days at the slower speeds. The days we did good with higher speeds we were pulling bigger sticks and spoons (Smithwick Rogues, J-13, Thundersticks etc.)