Which piece of equipment

Probe......fishhawk x4....if your down speed is off and your lures aren't running right, it won't matter if there are fish. Since We started using down speed/temp years ago, our catch rates have risen significantly. Good luck with your decision.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I say it depends on how good your sonar is. If you are seeing your fish and if your GPS lets you mark fish and gets you home at the end of the day, then go ahead and add the probe. I use the Depth Raider and really like it. They all work well though. However, if your sonar isn't showing you the fish then you can never be sure if you are on fish or not and no probe will help catch fish that are not under you. For me the sonar is more important than the probe. Some of the best charter captains that I know on the lake fish without probes. You can get a very good feel for down speed by watching cable angle of your riggers. Just my 2 cents worth.

Try to come in just ONE time in heavy fog without a good GPS and/or radar and you will know what the most valuable piece of equipment on your boat is. However, down speed and temp is something I would not like to live without but, some of the best fishermen I know have never owned one.

I have never owned a probe. I catch my share. Might I buy one some day? Maybe...but if you know what your are doing you only lose about 30 minutes figuring out what you need to get around the probe. I know some people with a probe that catch less...they fall in love with it and forget that fish are unpredictable and don't read electronics :rofl:

I have the depth raider and love it. I just put new coated cable on my downrigger and I have no problems getting water temp and speed down 170ft. I did not try any farther. I only have 200ft of cable.

GPS would be my next upgrade. I have the Lowrance HDS 7 with the Navionics mapping software. Its incredable. 1' contours. You can really thread the needle with depth and your riggers. ;) Good luck