fishhawk problem

sgrant

when I am trolling the down speed and temp readings jump all over the place. The surface readings appear fine.Ive tried new batteries and there doesnt seem to be any moisture in the probe.. Any thoughts. Thanks in advance. Steve G.

Sgrant,

This is inherent to the fishhawk due to the signal being sent by radio frequency from the probe to the xducer. Unlike the Sub-troll where the signal is transmitted up/through the coated cable.

The reason the down speed and temp jumps all over is due to teh currents in the water. If you notice the downrigger cables will sway way behind the boat at times...well the fishhawk probe is there with your rigger ball. The probe is swaying out of the cone sensing area of the xducer.

same thing with mine as i mounted my F/H transducer near my sonar.i only drop my F/H probe a couple times a day to find thermo,and check for currents(down speed) when i do i shut off my sonar and the signal is great then i pullit and get back to fishing.

Thanks for your insight,now that I think about it I was rinning the probe on the opposite side of the boat as the transducer, and I have 2 other fishfinders running at the same time. Thats what I love about this site, Thanks to your replies I have some things to try. Steve G.

I had a Fish Hawk do the same things. When I called the company to ask them about it, they said that it probably needed to be re-calibrated and that I'd have to send it back to them to do that for me. I decided not to send it back and went ahead and bought a Depth Raider.

I went out sat. am and put the probe down and same thing, readings on the surface were fine and the down temp and speed were all over, 00 to 99 both readings. I have a furuno transducer mounted right next to the f/h.transducer, turned that unit off and it worked flawlessly. Thanks Ray Koziatek you hit the nail right on the head. Sgrant