Outrigger question

First off if you have a ten foot dipsy rod you won't gain much by having outriggers for running a dipsy. A short rod of 8 feet would be ok. Most outriggers for boats of less than 26 feet are of the 15 foot variety.

I run only mono or braid with the outriggers. Wire can work, but you will be in danger of kinking the wire as it passes over the release clip..

Your rod should be in a holder as close to the rigger halyard as possible BEHIND the rigger to minimize angle of the line to the release and the subsequent slack to be taken up upon the release on a strike.

You would need very stiff outriggers to haul a dipsy at it's very end. Taco makes the ones I use and are very ridged. I have run the mag dipsey on them but usually they are the next size smaller I use and set them on 3 setting to fly high and wide.

The riggers are more useful for flatlining or you can run full copper wire out and hook the release clip to the backing. I like to run my copper off them angled back and high to keep clear of the other sets of dipsy and downriggers.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Mark thanks for your reply,

I have 15' taco on my CC now, I will take your advice on running 8' poles, I will try the copper and hook on at the backing, how much copper150'? Do you use black for real eases?

Thanks again for the advise.

Think of the outriggers as a very long rod ...15 feet...so you could use a 10 foot rod but like I say it would only give you another 5 feet.

Yes I use blacks outrigger release and put a twisted loop in the backing to hook onto the clip so I can load the rod to take slack up faster. Run the riggers up about 5 to 8 feet above your T- top and angled back a little. This will keep your copper back and high above your other rigs. I hope you have your halyards long enough so you can anchor to the gunnels and make the rigging to the clip easy. I use adjustable bungees to anchor the halyard to several locations for whatever angle of the rigger poles I want.

You can run any length of copper you want, it runs approximately 22 feet down for 100 feet out. I have a 600 foot and a 300 foot. With the 300 foot I let all the copper out if I want to fish a lure at 60 to 70 feet deep. I run the knot at the backing and copper right at the water surface. The 600 foot can run over the clip on the release and you can let out as much as you need. I have run the copper over the clip like this for years and it has had no adverse effect on the wire. I have used a rubber band half hitched to the copper and the loop over the clip just so I feel like it is protecting the wire some

If you try to run dipsy off the riggers be sure you hold the dipsy above the water as you run the rigger halyard out to the end otherwise you will not be able to get the clip out to the end with the dipsy dragging in the water. Just run the mono or braid over the clip with no twist loop so you can drop it once the clip reaches the end of the rigger.

You will be able to deploy dipsys from the side of the boat to run in gunnels rod holders, even with the copper out on the riggers if you keep them high and back. Outriggers are very handy and have many uses. I like my Taco riggers, they are plenty strong.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png