Picture of Doe with Tumor

Reel-E-Hooked

I don't know, it almost looks like its carrying a fawn there. Like it was pregnant and sufferd an injury and the sac carrying the fetus dropped out through its muscle tissue. I have heard of this happening with other animals.

the birth canal ruptures and the remaining tissues just cyst up to protect living tissue..looks really nasty though

Sometimes when a deer gets hit by a car it will get internal injuries that get infected.The result is a bag of pus that often is quite big.It will sit there until it ruptures and drains or gets reabsorbed.

My 14 year old Brittany has one of those. Same size too. The tumor is benign and does not effect his quality of life so I have not had it removed. Other than the extra weight it shouldn't effect the deer (which looks healthy). Now come spring there is going to be some very confused fawns looking to suckle. :o:o:o

in the last 40 yrs ive seen a handfull of severly tumored deer. never 1 big one, but some with a few to some so bad I felt it was proper to leave it lay , as much as thats not my style. Ive seen it in ,Indiana,Ohio,New York And pa. so it ant a local thing (Hot Landfill)..as we know a mother animal has the ability to sence in some way a defect in their young (usally the cause of a runt of the litter or total neglect). So I would think it is not detectable at birth by the mother..