Nov 2nd,2011 - BOQ Fishing Adventure

Bayboy rang me the other day asked if I would join him for an afternoon of trolling for walleye, at first I declined but after consultation with the powers that be, I got a go - ahead and joined BayBoy and Laker John.

We met at 1000 hrs and headed to Shermans to launch and then we headed to Long Reach to set the lines. We had trolled almost two miile before the outer board fired on a Manns Stretch Plus 20 Blueberry Muffin. Bay boy took the rod and got the planer bopard in and was having a rough time as this was a big fish and was giving all he could handle. When the fish was about 65 feet away, the line went dead and the fish was gone-----The BIG one ALWAYS gets away.........................

We turned and headed back to troll downwind and on our second pass, the inner board fired on a Rapala TDD11, Eriedescent, BayBoy took the rod and gently guided a nice 4 lb walleye into the net.

IMG_1845-BayBoyandWalleye-4x6.jpg

We motored back and began a third pass and decided to use the large motor to charge the batteries and just after getting the drift socks in the water and the lines almost set, BayBoy said that he had no throttle response... OH OH!!!!!!

Brought everything back into the boat and BayBoy scrambled over the back, removed the cowling and took a look, there was something a miss as he could see some shiny parts in the bottom. He could use his hand to maintain a throttle, but that wasn't a good idea with him leaning over the back of the boat - Don't want any accidental swimming...

The decision was made to contact BayGirl on the cell and have her bring the truck and trailer to Desronto, as we could have a the motor running but without a throttle, Running at 2.5MPH. Desronto was an hour or so away at this speed, but that was good as we hit the dock, the truck and trailer arrived.

Loaded the boat after a couple guys from Smith Falls loaded theirs with a nice 9-10 lb eye in their cooler.

Travelled back to Hay Bay and unloaded the gear and headed for home. Another adventure on Quinte with a boat problem, I had one in Mid Sept when my lower unit shortcircuited and wouldn't respond and I had to use the Trolling motor to get back to the launch ramp.

My wife is cautious as she says "Things happen in three's" and we've had two experiences so far - we hoping she is wrong.

Looking forward to Nov 11 & 12.

PS - BayBoy repaired the motor the next day, it was something quite easy to resolve.