Garmin 720S or Lowrance HDS7

I've got my new boat on order from Hewescraft in Washington and have a choice of Fishfinder/GPS units. The dealer strongly recommends the Garmin 720S touchscreen model, but I'm not familiar with Garmin products. I'm thinking Lowrance HDS7. Additionally, I'll be installing a second GPS later at the rear steering station. Any thoughts about the pros/cons of the Garmin? Could I install one Garmin and one Lowrance without a seperate transducer? If you were installing two units, one in the cockpit and one at the rear station, what would you do?

Thanks,

Doug

If I was going with Lowrance I would seriously look at the HDS8. It has the soft touch buttons which really makes it easier/faster to use and the screen is a major upgrade from the 7, exspecially when you split the screen. I can see/read my displays from the back of a 25, even with my older eyes.

When you add the 2nd unit you can then network them together to automatically share waypoints, transducers, ect. You can also add radar, structure scan with both side and down images, even Sirius weather/radio to the network.

I'm not familar with the Garmin but I here they are the best for GPS, not sure if they will network together when you get the 2nd unit.

Thanks mudflat. Having never used two units, I didn't even consider interfacing them. Something I should have mentioned is the boat has a Garmin TR Gold autopilot. I don't know if I lose any functionality if I don't select the Garmin unit. Anyone know?

The TR-1 Gold works independently off it's own heading sensor and can hook up with your gps using NEMA0183.

Mine works fine with Lowrance and I would think that it should with Garmin also.

Not sure if your installing any downspeed but there has been some issues of interference with the TR-1 and I think Depth Raider units, I haven't had any interference problems with my Fish Hawk X-4.

The TR-1 is a great unit, you're going to love it.

The TR-1 Gold works independently off it's own heading sensor and can hook up with your gps using NEMA0183.

Mine works fine with Lowrance and I would think that it should with Garmin also.

Not sure if your installing any downspeed but there has been some issues of interference with the TR-1 and I think Depth Raider units, I haven't had any interference problems with my Fish Hawk X-4.

The TR-1 is a great unit, you're going to love it.

Mudflat,

I have a Fishhawk X-4 so there shouldn't be a problem. After looking into it, Lowrance is running a special on a HDS8/HDS7 Gen2 combo with Structure Scan. Looks like a great system for my purposes. Only question is; should I put the HDS8 unit in the cabin or at the back steering station? I'll figure it out. Radar compatible too, so when I get one, I'm set.

Thanks,

Doug

Doug

The easy answer is get two units now and be done with it. At least have the boat prewired with both nema 2000 and ethernet networks for both locations so you will be all set, plug and play, when you get the second unit. Easier and neater than pulling wires after it's all built.

Which Hewescraft did you decide on?

Doug

The easy answer is get two units now and be done with it. At least have the boat prewired with both nema 2000 and ethernet networks for both locations so you will be all set, plug and play, when you get the second unit. Easier and neater than pulling wires after it's all built.

Which Hewescraft did you decide on?

mudflat,

I'm having the dual HDS 7 and HDS 8 installed by the dealer. The boat is a 26' Pacific Cruiser with Galley, Dinette, Head, Cuddy and heater. Twin 135hp motors with a 9.9 kicker and a Garmin TR1 Gold autopilot. I can't wait!!!