Zebedee Lake trout derby 5/27 & 28

Friday and saturday we got into the fish good catching all four species but this was a derby and we were looking for that big fish. I've been fishing this derby since I was a little kid and while I've been on the board a time or two, have not once placed. So the plan for Sunday was to fish deep water and look for the weight. In years past, we pulled some heavier fish away from the bait by fishing the temp break over the deep water.

Sunday started out rough as my engine would not turn over. It seems electrical (starter, battery connections, etc) tried jumping with another battery and it didn't roll over so not wanting towaste time, I fired the kicker motor and trolled sticks out of the canal at the North end. We picked a nice 4# brown on a blue and silver yozuri stick before switching to a deep water program. While we did pick a few heavier fish, we did not find that one to put us on the board.

Monday got worse as we fought with the steering unit for the kicker...the ball for the connecting rod came off one end (threads stripped out)..so we were steering by the tiller handle while trying to set lines, keep the boat straight, etc....we picked about 6 fish before the storm soaked us and sent us packing...all-in-all we still had a great time and caught 53 fish fri-monday.

I think the highlight was picking this 6# rainbow on the way in 8:45 Sunday night.

2012_05_27_20_51_04_273.jpg

My only regret was not getting off the lake earlier on Friday to chat with some of you at Sampson...congrats to Jeremy (tripledeuce) for winning Big Fish Friday! :yes:

We didn't take many pics but here are a couple:

2012_05_25_05_52_18_383.jpg

IMG951004.jpg

IMG959368.jpg