Lucky Enuff Oswego/Salmon river report 9/22 & 9/23

Got a late start Sat. morn and headed out of Oswego around 8am. My 8 yr old wanted to do something different and boat down to the salmon river. It was kinda bumpy so we didn't set up with the pack till 9ish. Fished 30 to 40 fow and I guess we missed the bite cause there was nothing going on. We had one release in an hour and I didn't see any boats hook up.

As we were running back towards Oswego, in front of the nuke plant I started marking lots of bait pods, so we stopped and set up in 135 fow. Marked consistant bait balls and a rigger fired within 10 min 100 down over 135. Trash can dodger and a hammer fly took the hit. My son battled it to the boat and we dropped it at the net. A mature king about 17-18 lbs. By then we were out over 175 marking nothing so we headed back and found the bait again in 135. Same set up fired again, but like that it was gone so we headed in.

Went back to the same spot with 4 other Pa boys around 4pm thinking the lake was calming down....not! Set up in the same 135 line...not as much bait but we had 2 riggers fire with no one home and the dipsey took a rip out 250 on a 2.5 setting and and just like that it was gone, all within the first 45 min. Then the lake got real angry and we found ourselves driving back in 6- 8 ft plus waves. R&R glow frog spoon took a hit, as did the plaid ehip with a pro am fly and a white spinny and white fly off the dipsey.

I would have loved to go deep, but the lake was too angry this weekend.

Fished Oswego harbor for an hour Sun morning.....marked plenty of fish but couldn't get a hit. Only fish I saw boated was one on The Fish Doctor.

Fished another hour in the afternoon.....same result.

We decided we had such a great season, there was no reason to stuggle with the fall winds, boat traffic and matures that are shutting down so we pulled the boat for the season and took her home.

What an awesome season! Bummed it's over for us but the memories will last a lifetime and we'll be out again in the spring. Best of luck to those still fishing!!!!

Rod

Rod,

The early morning river mouth bite is real early, need to be out there by 530 to get a couple hours before it gets too light and too much traffic. The deep water is where the fish are that are willing to bite and give you a good day. This time of year it is tough with all the wind we get. I am hoping to get out at least once more before the boat gets put away for the year. I will be out of Mexico next year, so we will need to stay in touch. Good Luck this fall and winter.

Rich

I will definitly stay in touch Rich. No more Henderson, huh? I'm going to have to see how things unfold over the winter, but I'm really interested in buying a lake house in Henderson and selling my camp in the 1000 islands. One place I really like is in the trench, on lower hovey tract road. Just have to wait and see. If it works out, I guess I'll be keeping the boat there so I'll be looking to you for advise on the area. Maybe we can go out fishing a couple times and you can show me around? I'll still be fishing Oswego though, I really like it there! Have a great winter Rich and best of luck on your final trips!

Talk to ya,

Rod