bloodrun ss with or without dipsy

Was wondering if everyone runs dipsy's on their ss rods or do alot of people run it straight? heading up the first few days in september to try the big "O" and i am trying to lay out a plan before i get there. this will be the first time ever fishing ontario. just going to run a 4 rod setup, 2 on downriggers and to 2 ss (wire) rods. from what i read they are running copper 250-300 with dipsy's, but with that much line out is the dipsy really giving you more depth or is it just for getting it off to the side of the boat? as much and any info greatly appreciated.

chris

Most guys run divers on a 2 setting as running them straight back could cause tangle in your riggers or with the way currents run two divers even on a wide beamed boat they could and will run right into each other even on a slight turn. They also take your presentation out and away from the boat which helps as well and provides more of a spread.

You also mentioned copper, you don't run copper with dipsy divers. Copper sinks on it's own so diving device needed.

shine,

i only know of one way to learn, and that is to try it. only ever ran 50lb fluro with dipsy's, these will be my first wire rods. as far as the tangles, i know sometimes they cannot be avoided, even the best guys get tangles now and again. but thanks for your attempt at discouraging advise, its dually noted.

chris

Better re think your plan on the big pond till ya get a better grasp of what's going on or your just in for a slow pain full ride with nasty tangles and headaches with the only good coming of it is your lures get a good washing
:no::no::no:

nothing like a little possitive feedback ?

Chris you 'll do just fine considering the fish will most likely be in close in Sept. Take your dipsey'S out to a 2 1/2 setting and you shouldn't have to many issues. Yes there's always a chance but for over 10 years I can only remember 1 time my diver found its way into my rigger. That was most likely a poor call on boat handling (38 lb. fish will do that to you) Good luck let us know how you do.

shine,

i only know of one way to learn, and that is to try it. only ever ran 50lb fluro with dipsy's, these will be my first wire rods. as far as the tangles, i know sometimes they cannot be avoided, even the best guys get tangles now and again. but thanks for your attempt at discouraging advise, its dually noted.

chris

You'll love the wire divers and they are usually the top producers. Learn the LOTSA wire line knot for connecting your swivel to the diver and when the last 6-10 ft get curly Q'd cut it off and start fresh. Spool it nice and tight but not overly tight you don't want to get a screamer on and hear ping! if the line gets caught up in itself. After spooling fresh run out to deep water and clip on some lead and let out 700ft of line and crank it back in so you know all the line is on your spool properly keeping tention on it while reeling it on, piece of mind IMO.

When letting it out keep your clicker on and thumb it out till you get to about 50 ft then I usually put it in my rod holder engage the reel and let it out on a nice slow steady drag, sometimes you'll even get blasted doing this. Don't keep your drags tight nor your divers release your hook up % will suck, back off the drag some when the fish runs but always keep steady presssure. Trial and error will make you a better stick. Good luck

K GoneFishin -- Do you use the LOTSA knot to connect the wire line to a swivel? I tried looking it up but i couldn't find a description of it anywhere...just got my wire line in the mail yesterday so i'm trying to get it set up for this weekend.

K GoneFishin -- Do you use the LOTSA knot to connect the wire line to a swivel? I tried looking it up but i couldn't find a description of it anywhere...just got my wire line in the mail yesterday so i'm trying to get it set up for this weekend.

Yes. Here is the links, click pics for larger images. http://lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

I have yet to have this fail and believe it's the goto knot for just about everyone. Wrap your spool with black electrical tape prior to spooling so the wire has something to dig into, otherwise the entire spool of wire will just spin and spin, or some mono whatever you do just don't tie the wire on directly.