Niagara River/Bar Conditions

Big Water

I'm going to make my first ever trip to the lower Niagara River and Bar within the next few weeks. From what I've read, water clarity is a big factor in fishing success there. Is there a site where I can get current and forecasted river conditions, or is it best to just call the local tackle shops? Also, what weight pencil leads are normally required for drift fishing the lower river.

Thanks,

Doug

1 oz. weights are fine for shallow drifting (20' or less). If winds are blowing from N and slowing the drift, or S and increasing it, heavier is needed. The more your weights drag on the bottom, the more you will use. But in shallow conditions, you need to get your bait away from the boat.

Winds on Lake Erie effect the clarity significantly. River typically is poor quality until Erie gets some ice cover. For stained conditions, egg skein works best because of the scent. With clear conditions, Kwik-fish turn on or use live bait.

The clarity is poor now and winds expected to blow for the rest of the week. Whitecaps on the lake at the bar. I'm dying to get started myself, but plan on waiting until ice forms or whenever there are calm wind conditions. Fishing is possible right now, if you have low expectations, but you'd have to fish the drifts that are wind protected only.

Water levels are extremely low and launching is tough. I recommend a launch from Lewiston because that launch appears the best and because you might have other launchers for assistance if you need it. The other two launches are quite lonely and Lewiston is maintained daily, with sand available for traction.

Because you have a long travel distance, suggest you wait for late January.

And it would be wise to get an Ontario fishing license also. Being stopped is unlikely, especially during the winter, but......