GPS Cable fix?

camomanbg

The black collar shown in this picture (the 7 pin port) has cracked and broken off. Anyone have a good idea for fixing this? I know it looks like it is just a screw in part that could be replaced. However, I contacted Garmin and they said they don't make the replacement part for this so the only thing I could do is buy a new unit. That's not really an option right now. I was thinking about fixing the cable permanently to the back of the unit with some plastic weld but I still need to be able to take it off the dash after fishing. Is splicing this kind of cable to put a quick disconnect in even possible? Any other suggestions?

IMG_20120415_140324.jpg

Thanks,

Brian

They recommend not cutting them. If you had to they must he soldered, but I imagine you're going to ad quick connects fittings. Sounds like it will fail. Re route your cable so you can hang it in the cabin?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I really don't want to try and splice it. In a perfect world I'd be able to find a patch cable of any length that has a male end (like the back of the unit) that I could screw the existing cable on and off of. The other end would be a female end I could fix to the back of the unit. I wouldn't know where to begin to find or even look for a cable like that. I think if there was something like that it would work. The collar on the existing cable is good, its just the part that recieves that collar on the unit that broke. I can push it on there and stuff a tackle box behind it and it will work, but rough days it just falls off. We use the GPS for speed, so it's kind of important.

You should be able to get a replacement connector. Check Newark.com just make sure they are identical. There should be part number on the connector somewhere. Then its just solder the wires on the pins and tighten a locknut.

You should be able to splice the cable to put in a quick connect if you want to go that route just make sure you the wires all jive when your done. A twisted shielded belden cable would work but use what makes sense

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png