oneida 5-12-2013

johnnywalleye

Came out of the chute and ran over to the NYS Barge Canal and trolled it, to hide from the predicted wind.

Had a .8-1.0 mph drift w/o power in certain sections, so I knew it was hummin' on the open lake.

Did not slam them, but did catch our limit, with a slow pick on dark-colored Colorado blades.

The ride back in some that were 4-41/2 footers kept me on my toes, but nothing I haven't done before.

Give it another go next week.

fished 5am until 9am 5 eyes boated 1 over 20" and another over 20" lost at the boat. wind made it tough and fishing was slow but still manged fish. had a couple pickeral and smallies as well. all fish caught jigging. yesterday afternoon was 4 keepers and a couple shorts, and a few lost. all jigging.

Hey Johnny Walleye and Fish Hunter- glad to hear that at least you got out a bit and had some action.  The wife and I had a four day trip planned to Lake Oneida(a friend of mine owns what used to be a hardware store in Sylvan Beach; now a house mostly fixed up for guests) for our 38th anniversary, but I watched the weather forecasts and didn't like what I saw.  I was going to bring up my 24'  pontoon, but with the wind I never would have taken if off the trailer.  Do any of you local fishermen fish the canal behind Sylvan Beach, or is this not a good idea?  Don't much care what we would catch, as long as there's some action.  We only eat panfish anyway. Thanks. Sakorifle, Macungie, Pa.

There is a "hole" where Fish Creek enters the NYS Barge Canal, that folks basically anchor on the edge, and cast jigs.

When I have been up there, always a congregation of boats, and your out of the wind as well.

canal.is good fishing in the spring..try minnows right along the pier or snap jig blade bait along the wall 4 eyes....panfish will still be there too...and so long 4 now;john

anything going on along the Seneca closer to home?