This is my first year fishing Sodus. I grew up fishing the henderson area, but in all honesty it was my dad and brother running rods and I would sleep until they said fish on. My kids are now old enough to go out on a boat with me (6 and 9) so I decided to get a boat and get back into fishing the lake. Its my first year at Sodus( switched from henderson because I live 45 minutes from sodus) and I teach so I have the summer off.  I am able to get my kids out for about 4 hours at a time. I will do 6-10 in the morning or 4-8 at night and wait until its flat on the lake. May and June were great, lots of lakers and a good number of steelhead and kings out deep when I made runs. July 4th was decent, but I have been out 4 times in the last three weeks. Here were the results. 1-5 on kings, then 1-3 on kings, then 3-3( 1 laker and 2 browns) and 2-2 tonight(1 laker and 1 brown). I decided to go for browns the last two trips because I am blanking on kings and only getting a few lakers to hit when im out there. So I guess my question is...How is everyone else doing, and maybe how am I doing? I dont know many people in the area and most of the time I fish during the week so I am out on the lake alone, and havent met many other fisherman as a result. I am targeting kings with copper, dipsies and riggers. I get a nice spread going with flashers and SD's. I feel like I am convering water well, and I havnt been skunked, so I guess thats a plus. I have just heard a lot about July salmon fishing in Sodus and feel like I am striking out a little. 

Ryan,

Fishing has been pretty tough this year.  The weather has been all kinds of whacky.  The lake has "flipped" more times than I can remember in July.  All of this creates different fishing conditions every time we are out.  Sometimes the fish are deep, others shallow, sometimes far out, others close to shore.  A lot of folks (myself included) have really struggled the last few weeks.  Have you been marking fish on your fish finder and just not getting the hits?  Or have you just not been finding the fish?  I'm headed up now and will be on Ch9 tomorrow if you're out.

Nick

Nick,

Its been mixed as far as marking and finding fish. For example...tonight i didnt mark anything from 120-200. Went in for browns and marked a lot around 90 feet where i picked up the two fish. I may be up tomorrow with my wife and kids if its not raining. Maybe ill see you at the docks. If i go out it will most likely be an evening trip. Best of luck.

Sk8man and myself went out today, all day, really tough - 1 Steelhead, we worked 120 out to 250 FOW, saw very few fish and not much bait, only got a couple of hits and we tried lots of tricks. I agree on this being a strange year. Only thing you can do is keep believing and keep trying. On a side note maybe take those youngsters after something more active till the trout reports get better, hate to have them loose interest before you have them hooked!

Good Luck,

Bob

Luckily they love hanging on the boat. My daughter brings toys and one fish gets my son chatting for at least two hours, but after a few hours of no bites they ask to go in and jig at the docks ( they each got a largemouth tonigjt!). I was thinking of going after some lakers on the bottom tomorrow. If i get out ill let you know. Thanks.

Our salmon Tuesday night came at sunset. You could see them coming off the bottom on the fish finder. The lat few weeks we've had a lot of fish come off the bottom to look and then go right back down...that's when it's time to change presentation and find what will trigger a strike. Fish the temp, watch your speed, and give 'em what they want to eat. It has been a tough year as Nick said. Hang in there and make sure your tackle is up to par! I'd hate to hear your kids lost a big one!