Duck hunt 11/8

Got any good recipes for the breasts? I took 3 woodies and 2 mallards my buddy shot and breasted them out. Left the skin and fat on them. Never cooked wild duck but my family eats deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, etc. and ducks are pretty plentiful around here so I figured I'd see if they taste good before I start hunting them. "If u kill it, u eat it" was kind of seared into my head when I was younget

Got any good recipes for the breasts? I took 3 woodies and 2 mallards my buddy shot and breasted them out. Left the skin and fat on them. Never cooked wild duck but my family eats deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, etc. and ducks are pretty plentiful around here so I figured I'd see if they taste good before I start hunting them. "If u kill it, u eat it" was kind of seared into my head when I was younget

You can marinade the breasts, but the most important thing is DO NOT OVERCOOK ducks or geese in an oven as it will taste like liver. Leave some red in there and it will be more like roast beef. You can slow cook-em in a crock pot with a sauce too.

• 4 weeks later...

Goose- cut 2 breasts into 3/4" cubes and brown ONLY in butter DO NOT COOK. Set the gose aside. Sautee 6 oz of mushrooms until browned and tender. Set these aside, also.

stir-fry bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby corn and green pepper in a wok or large skillet at med high heat in 1 oz of oil for 3 minutes. add the goose and mushrooms. continue at high heat for 11/2 minutes. stir gently but continuously. add 3 oz of teriyaki sauce , 1 oz of soy sauce and 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger . Continue to stir for 30 seconds to mix sauce evenly. Serve with long grain and wild rice mix. ENJOY!!!!!

Duck- 2 breasts per person. using a meat hammer, between plastic wrap to contain splatter,pound breasts out to 3/8" thick. make a seasoning using 1/2 teaspoon of celery salt, 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper, 1/2 cup of italian beadcrumbs  and 2 teaspoons of parsley flakes. mix well. sparsely coat breasts with oil and rub with seasoning. sautee in oil for 1 minute each side on medium-high heat. if you have a big group put them in a cool 150 degree oven while you make the sauce. melt 1/2 stick of butter and add 1/4 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper. stir to mix. bring heat up to medium (do not burn butter!) and add 1 cup of Marsala wine reduce by half. pour sauce over breasts and serve with baked potato and fresh baby carrots or green beans.

These are my fovorite 2 recipes!!!!-Paul

Edited by paul young