Please read this

Shade

To all my fellow anglers. I am not writing this because i want your pitty or your help. I am writng this because of what I have been reading all across this internet when anglers talk to anglers about tips, technigues,equipment and anyother subject matter they can think of. All over the internet I read pros and cons on charters,how fisherman fail to give out trade secrets, costs of insurance,boat slips, it goes on and on.

TREASURE THE MOMENT ANGLERS AND SPORTSMAN. I just turned 57 this year and I have been hunting,fishing,trap shooting and camping for 45 years. I started with my dad and uncles and now its my son, nephews and brothers. In August 6,2007 it all changed for me because of a freak accident. We were fishing out by the stacks in Ontario and we just pulled in our gear and started heading back to Olcott. I was driving the boat and rubbing about 15mph. There were about 6 other boats heading in at the same time. I hit a wake and the pedistol on my seat collapsed and jarred me. You can say what ever you want on my driving skills but i can assure you I did it right. I did not know of any injury until that night when I woke fromm a sound sleep with the most hostile of pain in the center of my back.To make a long story short the Nero Sugeon found 2 herniated disks in the thorasic part of my back. I had to have emergency sergery because these disks were rubbing against my spinal cord. Prior to the surgery I began to loose the feeling in my legs. The surgery could not fix the leg problem but it did prevent me from being parellized. I had no insurance on my boat to cover this and I have been deemed totally disabled. Had this happened while i was on a charter or someone elses boat I would have been forced by my medical insurance to take legal action. I guess my point is charish what you have but protect it as well especially your family and friends. My life has changed dramatically since this accident. I can not hunt,camp or trap shoot and until I get into the boat for the first time this year and do not know if I can fish. I am going from a job were I was making $78K a year to where Iam still fightimg Social security and my 401K for $36K a year. I am asking all anglers help each other out if you can and lets have some fun because YOU NEVER KNOW.

My heart goes out to ya Shade. I have watched my brother go thru 4 back operations over the last 12 yrs or so, fighting with workmans comp, DSS etc and basically still not able to do much of anything. I wish I had his attitude because that is what has gotten him through this. Keep your chin up and I sure hope you can make it back out on the Lake this year!! I always have extra fish and venison in the freezer that I share with friends and you are more than welcome to any of it, so please don't hesitate to give me a holler. Thank you for sharing your experience as it has sure "opened" my eyes.

Shawn

Shawn,

Thanks but like I said this was not a simpathy letter. Like your brother I intend to fish one way or another. The other sports are out but I will be damned if I am not on a boat. My son and I have hunted,fished,camped and played golf since he was a kid. Once I get through all this red tape with Social security and my retirement plan my son and I will do one or two out of state where they can cater to my disability. Even if it to just drive the boat I will be on the water. My son bought a seat that can handle 4g's and we will be installing it next week.

Thanks for the reply and hope to seeya sometime. Good luck and fish safe.